• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Updates

Cedar Falls-
Have been out the last 4 days on area lakes and ponds. Almost everywhere has at least 4-5 inches. Some areas have open pockets where the local geese have been in. Fishing has been good! Going to try Bussy Lake on the river tomarrow.
Mr. M

Oakville
Had some ice on Odessa. Was thinking about going out today and found out they opened the tubes yesterday for a winter draw down. Too much current and falling water will take care of any notion to ice fish there now. Other areas, the edges are starting to rot out and by thursday or friday will be done. I'd load up and travel to some good ice, but I'll have to get a better report than what's been posted so far.

I heard today that Clear Lake has 8" of ice, but wonder if it will hold up for this weekend. If i get my deer on Sat., I might try to run up there on Sunday.

Also, Rick, been thinking a lot about getting a portable and have been leaning towards the glacier three man. I had a buddy stop by the FishingMN booth at the ice fishing show, but he said he didn't see one up. He also stopped by Cabela's Ice fishing show on his way back and didn't see one there either. I know Cabela's HSOforum has the two man, but the people there said they had never even seen one. Anyways, I am coming up to the Cities next weekend, 21-25, and was wondering if there was a place to check one out. Thanks for any help.

------------------
Jake

Dog, I've been looking for a portable now for a while. I've been trying to narrow down exactly what i need. I'm looking for an ice shack that can fish two people comfortably, for serious fishing, but can squeeze three into if needed. I'd like something i can set up fast, because my time on the ice will be limited due my first son. I'd also like the shack to be light wt. so when i am by myself i don't have to struggle pulling it. I'm also afraid of getting one with a cheap fabric that doesn't hold heat. Last but not least, also due to my first son, the price is a major factor.
Icedog, Any suggestions?
Feels like i should own three shacks smile.gif

------------------
Jake

Should"B"-there are a whole bunch of good portables out on the market these days...seems the competition has made everyone sit up and listen to what we icers really want. Try to stay open minded about the portable you choose. I recommend you sit down and make a wish list of what is important to you and your fishing style. Like: walk to spots so weight and size is important, usually fish alone so 1 man would be better, colder than billy-heck here so need something that seals up really well and holds heat, need windows for light so I can re-tie with these old eyes, vents would be nice since my partner eats a lot of beans....etc. Then go out and see what fits with your style. There is an Ice Fishing Show in Madison, WI Alliant Center this Thursday, Friday and Saturday 12-14th. Should be a lot of portables to see there! In MPLS/St Paul there are a lot of good places to try as well, Gallions, Thorne Bros, Capra's, just look in the yellow pages.
Call me crazy, but I own 3 portables...all for different fishing situations.
Some might also call me a "taclejunkie" but that's a whole other story.
doggieduty

[This message has been edited by icedog (edited 12-11-2002).]

Jake,
If you're interested in the glacier 3-man, I've got one I'm thinking about selling. Got it new last year and only used it about 5 times. Light weight-24lbs., very easily pulled. I do all my fishing now alone and don't need that much room. And besides, until I see fishable ice, I don't think I need a hut.

ShdB-herb has got a good idea...check his deal out. Used might be the best way to go on a budget.
Yeh, sounds like you are in the same dilema I WAS in!! Wanted lots 'o room, but not to much weight...good fabric, no weight, 1 guy typically, but want to fit 3 when needed(oh and no weight)....sounds like a recipe for storing at least 2 portables in that garage!! Maybe 3!! hehehe Don't know of any stretchable shacks on the market yet! Someday I am sure they will be invented!
I am thinking that your compromise deal would be something that would fit 2 people, good construction/fabric and keep an eye on the weight listed on the total package. I am sure something will fill the bill....just get out there and look some units over...talk to everyone who has one and get educated. love it love it
dogonduty

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Hey ShoudB,
sorry I missed your question. You should have stopped by the booth and asked. We had the Glacier III set-up by the wall.

Just call 1-866-523-0980 during business hours. They might set you up to see it on your way to the cities.

I wouldn't fish more than 2 in the 3 man Glacier, unless you have kids with you. It is light and durable. Pulls very easy. It's not the cadillac but it's good value for the money.

Give em a call.

Jake, I can't think of anything I didn't like about the glacier III. I just don't need that much room. Very easy set up. Takes about 30 seconds, good head room too. Just can't use it in my boat and that is where I'm spending most of my time now.LOL