• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Checking out Farm Ponds

The Grandpa has a few farm ponds that I've fished for years, but only ice fished once with no luck. I've seen 14" crappies pulled out of there in the summer, but it's been a few years. Tomorrow I'm taking a boat for the first time, along with a underwater camera and vex, to see if i can't find any structure for ice fishing. I was wondering if anybody has done the same. What should I look for or note? I could also ask about managing it, but that might be another topic for another time. I'm excited to see whats in there.

------------------
Jake

Jake
Id be glad to help you find more out about your pond!Where is it at?HE HE!!!!There are a few ponds that I fish in the summer and do well on that wont produce a fish in the winter,Its like it becomes a dead sea!

------------------

Well I went out and did a little scouting for the winter and am really excited. Didn't note a lot of structure, but did find some nice humps. We had a vexilar and a underwater camera with us. I don't know what I would of done without the vexilar. The only way I could tell I was even close to the bottom was the vex. A lot of fish were suspended at ten ft. in 20 ft. of water. Cal,I hope it's not the dead sea. I'm really excited to try it. Has anybody had luck on farm ponds in the winter?

YES! farm ponds here in Iowa tend to be the bulk of my fishing.Although farm ponds dont usually suport walleyes and if they do they cant reproduce so it makes it a catch an release only, so thats when I tend to hit the big lakes.Farm ponds are by far the easiest to find fish on,especially useing my vex.With no snow on the lake I just walk around dumping a litle water one the ice untill I find fish then drill the holes.When the fishing slows I do it all over again!

------------------
cal

I've spent a ton of time icing fish on Iowa farm ponds, and for the most part, they're all pretty simple to figure out. Just before (and after) ice up, the bulk of the fish will be found in the DEEPEST basin of the pond, which is usually near the dam. Many ponds have little to no "structure" in this area, but don't worry about that...just find the basin.

You'll find the bluegills anywhere from tight to the bottom to 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. The most aggressive fish will more than likely be the one's riding up 18" or more off the bottom. If you watch your Vex closely, you'll see individual fish that you can "raise" from the bottom that can be coaxed into biting, but for the most part, don't waste much time below that 18" mark.

Crappies can be fickle during the day, but just after sunset they can really turn on. Watch your Vex for fish coming through at about 1/2 of the depth of the basin you're fishing. They'll come through in waves...here then gone! Be patient, another wave will come through. Minnows are okay, but when the fish are hitting an ice jig/waxworm, or better yet an Angel Eye Jr. are just as effective but much more efficient.

Cats and bass are added bonus fish, and can be a riot on tiny gear, or you can target them by switching up your gear.

After the "first ice" bite has dwindled, start looking for fish at the first timber you find bordering deeper water. You may also want to spend some more time on those humps and points, but go to the basin to get your season rolling.

DON'T FORGET...
Keep some medium sized fish to eat - they're great, but throw back those 9" and up bluegills and 12" and up crappies. You can ruin a pond pretty quickly if you get on a good bite.

Good Luck,
FLB

I haven't! Been too busy when there's ice and it's too warm when i can. This weekend i'm deer hunting, and next weekend I'll be in minnesota, hitting some big water. I might try to get out during the week next week, if the ice holds up frown.gif

------------------
Jake

I'm a NE South Dakota native that has moved to Hampton so that my wife and I could both have teaching jobs within driving distance of one another. I'm interested in finding some small water to ice fish on and maybe summer fish on. I'm talking about farm ponds, gravel/sand pits and small man made lakes. Would you please let me know of any good holes for bluegills and perch especially? I can trade some world-class jumbo perch fishing if necessary, but it's