• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First deer rub i have seen this year

Last week today I seen my first rub of the year. I was a little surprised to see there was no blood or velvet on the bush. Today I saw a hugh buck and his horns were already gray, he was a ten point 250+ pounds and living in Golden Vally. This is a little early don't ya think !!!
Does this mean we are going to have early winter???
Let me hear your thoughts on this.

I think they rub the velvet off when it feels uncomforable to them...but if you didn't see any velvet; you never know. The way the weather is lately, I thought it was winter already smile.gif

From anything I've read a lot of the deer eat the velvet right after it comes off. In fact I think I've seen that on video like on the Discovery Channel or something like that. Also from what I've read there's no feeling in the antlers, so it doesn't actually get "uncomfortable". My understanding is although it seems to us they must rub it because it gets itchy, that's not really the case.

I would agree it seems early to find rubs, probably a good buck around starting this early. I don't usually find a lot of them until late October, when the scrapes are suddenly "everywhere".