• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tikka / new scope question

Just bought a new Tikka T3 Lite (stainless barrel/synthetic stock)in a .270 Win - I'm getting a scope on it and had a question. I'm definatly going w/ a Bushnell 3200 Elite w/ FireFly reticle in a 3 x 9 - BUT...what's the opinion on the different objective sizes available? I can go w/ 3x9x40mm or the 3x9x50mm. I'm leaning towards the 50mm but A)does it make that much diff. in brightness B)will it fit the rings that came w/ the gun or will I need to buy new ones to get the scope high enough to clear the barrel and C)is it gonna really throw the weight/balance out of whack & be so clumsy as to be not much fun....?!?! BTW - I can order a 3x9x50mm online for $220 - the 3x9x40mm around here is about $230...
Mostly deer hunting but want to get into varmint/predator hunting as well in the future...

Odds are,that you'll have to go to a little taller ring if you decide on the 3x9-50. If the reason that you're wanting to go to the 50 is for the brightness factor you might consider looking at either the leopold Vari-XIII series or better yet the Leica series of scopes. I own both,ones on a 7mm and the other is on a 35 whelen. I've never had a problem with either scope. The bottom line is that you're paying for the glass. Of the two, I would lean towards the Leica line of products. You would never go wrong with either of them though.