• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

topo map help

beretta

i am going to be getting a map or two from mytopo.com and was wondering if there are any reasons to go with the 1:24,000 scale over the 1:15,000? i can get the whole area i want on the 1:15,000, but i heard that the 1:24,000 is more gps friendly. is this true and if so how? also is there any other tips you can give me about topo maps? oh yea this is for the black hills in wyoming if that helps. thanks a lot
-kyle

Kyle,
I've heard the same about it being more GPS friendly though I'm not exactly certain why. However I hunt the Bighorns in Wyoming every year they let me and my brother'n law got the in close version - it's got great detail and we haven't had any real problems with the gps coordinates (though we know our hunting area pretty well and use it more to locate interesting looking areas off the beaten path). I'm already dreaming of Muleys - got the fever bad

Here's a link that's pretty good for topos on the web - topo maps/ aerial photos, etc.
http://www.topozone.com/default.asp

[This message has been edited by woodview (edited 03-23-2004).]