• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Evaluating Mule Deer

I need help in how to field judge a mule deer. This next fall we are planning a horse back trip into the mountains for mule deer. I have shot several book whitetail and have not had too much trouble judging whitetails using their ears and body with very little ground shrinking but have NO idea how one goes about judging a mule deer. Our local zoo does not have any mulies and Manitoba does not have mule deer.

So any help would be muchly appreciated. THANKS!!!!

I hunted antelope last year, and saw a lot of muleys, I know what you mean when you say they are harder to judge. I hope to go back out there and hunt them in teh next couple years. This fall I think caribou is on the list so muleys might have to wait. Here you go:
Here a few helpful hints to help you better judge that big mule deer so you can bag a big one.

1. Look for a boxy appearance. Most typical trophy bucks’ antlers will look square.

2. The antlers should be at least as tall, or taller. than one half the inside spread of the deer's rack.

3. The inside spread of the deer’s rack must be as wide as the deer's ears or wider. Look for one with at least an 18-inch inside spread. An average mule deer’s ears are usually around 20" inches tip to tip. If the inside spread is 24-26" with long symmetrical points, it should score over 170.

One note of warning, the ears will not be as wide when alert or on a sneak.

Try to judge the animal from different views before shooting. The view from one side can be deceiving. From the front, check to see whether the first fork on each side is out beyond the ears.

4. Look for long, symmetrical tines for a typical mule deer trophy. Any differences in the measurements will be subtracted. Very few mule deer will make the record books if they have only three points a side. To do so they would have to have very long, tines.

5. Heavy beams will add a little to the score, but the beam circumference usually does not add enough to make much of a difference. Keep in mind the racks look bigger in velvet.

To sharpen your judging techniques Get around as many racks or mounts as possible. Measure as many as possible. Try and judge animals in books, magazines, and videos. The more you can get accustomed to what you are looking for in a trophy the faster you can size up that buck before it disappears.

The following are some general guidelines on how a typical record mule deer is scored for acceptance in the record books. Refer to the Boone & Crocket Record Book or Pope and Young Record Book for complete instructions.

The Minimum Rifle Boone and Crocket score for typical mule deer is: 180 for awards and 190 for all time. The minimum archery Pope & Young score is 145. An average 200 B&C buck would have an average inside spread of 25 inches and the average length of beams would be 26 to 27 inches. An average 195 B&C would have an average inside spread of 22 inches and the average length of main beams would be 24 inches. These are merely guidelines. Actual scores may differ.

Good luck!