• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp Story in Pioneer Press!

Interesting article and great exposure for carp.

It did hit one of my pet peeves, though..... My partner and I "americanized" euro techniques and are pretty successful. Sometimes, I think that people get turned off from carp fishing when they see all the expensive equipment and specialized rods and reels. Folks can catch them using equipment that we already have or is readily available.

We use 8 1/2 foot salmon rods. We use Garcia 5600's (they have a bait clicker) or spinning reels with DuBro line release clips. We made up some rod holders from plumbers pipe and thin fence posts. We use field corn cooked in sugar water and flavored with strawberry concentrate.

We do tie our own hair rigs, which is extremely easy, on circle hooks. For the life of me, I do not understand why cicle hooks have not caught on amongst carp anglers. Anyways, for threading the corn on the hair, we use a floating jig head with the hook straightened and the barb filed down slightly.

We use floating jigheads, because then we can thread some corn on and toss it back into the bait pot so that it can continue to soak up the "good stuff." Works slick.

Back to circle hooks, no hook setting needed. With the spinning reels, when the fish pulls the line out of the release clip, that's enough pressure to set the hook. With the baitcasters, a bit of thumb on the spool and the hook is set. We've been using them for 4 season's now and will not go back to another hook for any kind of bait fishing.

We also use lindy sinkers, a bit heavier than normal, but they are readily available (1 1/2 ounces.) That, combined with the long rods, allow for pretty long casts. Plus, the rods double as slip bobber rods when fishing for other species.

We do use a spod for baiting, but we used to use a sling shot. My spod rod is pretty cool, it's a custom muskie rod that I won at a raffle mated to a Garcia 7000. It will cast a spod a country freaking mile. Plus, the 7000 takes up 27 inches of line per crank, it pulls it back in a hurry!

I'm not saying that our way is better then euro techniques, just that it does work.

Tom B
trying to be a 'carp ambassader'

Tom,

Excellent post...well said.

While I’m one of those who believes “Euro gear” isn’t completely necessary to enjoy carp fishing I’m also one of the few people in this state who uses it. I have fished with plenty of carp anglers (in Minnesota and other states) who use homemade stuff and some of it works just as good...but in no case has it ever worked better.

BTW I’m the Jim Collins mentioned in the article. It was a toss up if I should bring the complete Euro setup for the reporter or not. We (Bob and I) were concerned that it would give people the wrong idea about carp fishing because we don’t believe it’s a fair representation of the average Carper in Minnesota...I think that’s reflected in the article. But Tom...you’re not an average Carper either.

I was attracted to all the specialized shore fishing gear that UK and Euro companies make. You said people are “turned off” by all the expensive gear...well...if it were more affordable/available I'm sure you’d be buying it too. While a lot is expensive it’s becoming more available (therefor more affordable) every year.

Its to bad, UK companies are years ahead of anything we have in the US for shore based Angling. Ours have been so busy making tackle and equipment for boat Anglers...they've allowed other countries to pass them buy. Fortunately, it’s only a matter of time before that changes and maybe people like you will make the difference it takes to bring it about.

Jim C

PS What size circle hooks do you use?

[This message has been edited by Roughfishman (edited 06-28-2004).]

Hey Jim,

I guess that I kind of, sort of, maybe agree that we are not average fisherdudes....

I did enjoy the article and I do agree that the UK is light years ahead of the US in shorefishing equipment and techniques (with the exception of circle hooks). The point that I was trying to make is that this can all be done with stuff that the average walleye guy would have.

The 8 1/2 foot rod is the best example. Most walleye guys, once they try a long softer rod for slip bobbers, love them. Once they have one, they also have the perfect tool for shore fishing carp and cats.

We should fish together sometime....

Tom B

Oh yea, what size circle hooks. I use size 6 and size 4's depending on my mood. Wald, my carp fishing buddy, uses size 4 VMC octopus circle hooks.

We have both tried Gamagatzu and are not impressed that the hooks ability to hold a sharp point. The VMC's hold up better and hold a sharp point longer

Tom B

Euro hooks were something else I forgot. Holy **** are they sharp! I would LOVE to get circle hooks made to the standards of the carp hooks that I have seen (one of the kids in our group won the Wacker Baits 'beginner' set and gave it to me... well actually, we traded, I gave her a Barbie and she gave me the carp stuff.)

Anyways, circle hooks are definately, the cat's meow.

Tom B

Tom,

I’ve used circle hooks for cat’s plenty of times and feel they are perfect for most situations. I never thought to use them for carp until recently when a guy I was fishing with said it was all he ever used and it seemed to be working for him. Don’t know why I never thought of it before, maybe because I’ve always taken a more delicate approach to carping compared to cat-fishing.

What carp hooks did Paul include in the beginner pack? I really like the Fox series 2x size 4; they’re my all-round hook. Ultra sharp and very strong but unfortunately expensive and hard to get...Paul at Wacker is always out.

It’s interesting but some of the (so called) advanced rigs from the UK for carp utilize the same principals that the circle hook dose naturally...with less fuss. Seems that maybe they could learn some stuff from us!

I know I’ve said it before, but just because I use equipment made in the UK doesn’t mean I’m not an American carp Fisherman. I’ll use anything that will help me bank some of those BFC.

Jim C

BTW how did you do today?

barnyard,

How do you tie a hair rig with a circle hook? I have heard of hair rigs (isn't it just a dropper line off of the hook where bait is added?) but I've never actually seen one or really understand the concept. Is any bait actually placed on the hook itself?

We take a short length of crappy line (6 lb Trilene XL works for me) and tie it to the curve of the hook with a 2 wrap trilene knot. Then double the line and tie an overhand knot so that there is a little loop at the end of the hair. The best hairs are long enough to hold 2 to 3 kernels of corn, the loop at the end is for a "hair stop" anything that will hold the corn on the hair.

For the end overhand knot, I use my bait needle as a crochet hook and use that to tie the overhand knot.

Does that make sense????

We thread the corn on the hair, not on the hook. The theory is that the carp suck in the bait and don't feel the hook. With the circle hook, they do not feel the point of the hook until they actually swim off. Then when the hook hits the corner of the mouth, it embeds itself.

We switched to circles 4 years ago and went from a 60% hook up to well over 90%. We consider a 'pick up' as anytime that the line is pulled from the line release clip on a spinning reel or the clicker clicks on a baitcaster.

We are working on a carp article and will include hair rig tying diagrams annnnnd will post links when it gets published.

Tom B

One more thing to add about circle hooks.... EVERY fish that we have ever caught has been hooked in the fat part of the carp's lips. We have NEVER had a fish swallow a hook.

Also, you DO NOT set the hook. They are the greatest things to use when fishing for kids. For me, the hardest thing to teach a kid is setting the hook. Circles eliminate that.

With a bait caster, I pick up the rod and thumb the spool, that sets the hook. With a spinning reel, when the fish pulls the line from the line release clip (a DuBro product that is available from Bass Pro) they are hooked.

It's kind of funny with a bait caster... the clicker will be going, thumb the spool and the clicker screams!

Good Luck

Tom B

If I picture this right then you put the corn on the straightened hook, put the loop over the barb then slide the corn on the dropper line? WHat do you use for a "hair stop"? How does it stay tight to keep the corn on?

I think I'm starting to get the idea. Thanks for all of the tips.

Exactly. We use hair stops that we bought from Wacker baits. You can use a piece of grass or a twig, but it is easier to use the hair stops.

Friction holds it all together. Once you put the stop in the loop, pull the corn down against it. Frequently, you will not have to rebait after catching a fish.

Tom B

What's the world coming to. The pioneer press has a story about the touchy feely european ways, and today the tribune runs a feel good story about shooting them.
Just when I thought I had it all figured out.