• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

St. croix gar

I know alot of people that fish the st. croix at night for gar. have any of you guys tryed it. I would like to some time and wondering where to go. People have told me to put a shiner off the bottom with a bobber.

[This message has been edited by Riverfishin (edited 06-27-2004).]

I've heard that the fuzzy side of velcro works really well for getting Gar to stay on the line. Their mouths are too bony for getting a hook through it.

I use a bottom rig (slip-sinker 18" from hook), rigged six feet below a lighted bobber in 2-3 feet of water. By the time the gar actually moves the float, it has the bait deep. Use a small hook and you'll get a catch in the soft inside of the mouth.

Was out on the Croix today fishing for gar and landed 4 of them. 1 short and 3 longs. Had acouple follows and missed strike and lost 1 good size at boatside. It was a fun 2.5hrs of fishing.

I plan on heading to the MN river next Thursday night to try for gar. I've read that a lot of people use string/rope and velcro? I'm just trying to picture how this works on a hook. How do you get it on? Hopefully I can hook up with some more shortnose this year and maybe my first longnose. Does anyone know if the two species like the same habitate or school together? Thanks in advance for any info!

------------------

<*))))))))><{

the rope lure doesn't have a hook nor use one. Depending on size you want I go 4-5" tied to a swivel clip. Wet it and just cast. When the gar strike avoid setting the hook and just start reeling and fighting. Works real good on longnose. Shortnose is a 50/50 because of their broader snout.

So does the gar just go for the rope? Or do you need some sort of attractant to go with it?

[This message has been edited by Lost (edited 07-12-2004).]

Does a bass just go for a plastic worm? Yes, a long slender frayed rope resembles a minnow and when twitched it flows like a weak minnow. No scent is needed. Gars don't strike from behind the rope, they come up along side the lure until their beak is parallel to the lure then a quick swing at the lure and they're hook(tangled).

We were out there again yesterday it was fun and we caught quite a few of them. The largest one landed on the 15th was 36", and on the 16th was a 41.5". Spotted 2 upper 40's" but they only followed and wouldn't bite.

We fished north and south of hudson. Find back bays and slack water that have lots of minnows and you'll most likely find some gars. Best spots are places where there's no boat traffic. If there's too much traffic they'll sit on the bottom and make it a little harder to catch. Oh and fish no deeper than 5-6' and go as shallow as your boat can go.

Just use small in-line spinners and cast them out and reel back slowly or fast? That kinda sucks that there ain't too many longnose in the MN River, I really wanted to catch a longnose this year.

------------------

<*)))))))><{

I just back from camping on the missouri river in south dakota in yankton and caught a short nose gar. Every night we would fish up by the dam and there would be hundreds of gar. There were almost impossible catch from the 50 foot wall we were fishing from. They would also only grab your bait for about 10 seconds so if you set the hook it will come out of there mouths. and if you waited they would drop it. I also snagged I 20 pound paddle fish fishing for catfish.

How do you specifically target gar? Where would you look? I need to hook into some. The larger, the better. Maybe one of y'all could guide me into some sometime? Let me know!

Haven't the slightest clue where they are now. Best times was late May, June, July, August when the shads were still an inch or less. From shore? Definately. North bay on WI side next to I-94 where the $12 boat launch is. I've yet to explore the entire Croix for optimum spots.