• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any Ideas?

Every year on memorial weekend we head up to the in-laws place on Love Lake in Brainerd. When we fish crappies from the docks we see these giant carp up around the docks, I have never been prepared but I always want to tangle with one them guys, they are there every year. Anyway, I tried throwing a nightcrawler at them with no results. They are extrememly spooky also. I want to know the best approach to go after em. Should I anchor out from the dock and maybe chum with some corn (if legal) as to pull them away from the dock if I happen to hook one? Believe when I say I know nada about carp fishing. What kind of bait and tackle are we talking about?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

1st I would say get a good rod with some backbone. I personally like spinning rigs. Like say a 6'6" or a 7' medium to heavy action with atleast 14lbs line and a spool that will hold about 150-200yds.

If they are feeding on bottom then go with just enough weight like a egg sinker, snapshot and about 2'-4' of leader and atleast a #2 hook. Many will favor the circle hooks but i like EagleCaws widegap hooks.

But if they are just swimming around mingling near theocks then a floating rig might work better. just go with a bobber and hook at the same level as they are swimming at.

For bait you now have tons of different types. but i favor simple setups like can sweet corn, doughballs, and oatmeal.

hope this helps and bring a camera

Thanks Roughfisher,

This comment hear is an understament

"Carp will hit hard and could drag your rod into the water if you aren't paying attention."

I've lost a few rods myself. I was just at the Rum river dam in Anoka yesterday and saw one bullhead caught, and two carps roll, but no bite here. Shouldn't be long now

Good advice - I'd also add that if you can get them feeding on corn they will be less spooky. Otherwise, you might try fishing from shore so you can make a longer cast to the fish by the end of the dock. Carp can be very spooky so keep a low profile. they will take a nightcrawler, but only if they aren't spooked.