• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A 'Rough' tourney series...ideas?

Hiya - I could use some opinions.

What follows is a DRAFT of the rules and format for Metro RATS (Rough Angler Tournament Series), a once-monthly Spring/Summer event on the Metro rivers for all anglers which is meant to not only be Family-Friendly, but also provide a venue for shore anglers to fish competitively - even with boat anglers.

I could REALLY use some ideas for keeping the per-person playing field level between boats and shore.

FORMAT -
Conservation & family fishing fun are the cornerstones of RATS, like C&R is the cornerstone of LETS. A fish doesn't have to be pretty or tasty to be of value to the ecosystem or to this tourney.
This is an all-day event which can be entered at any time by either shore or boat anglers, and events are independant of each other; no need to register for a series. A "running tab" of fish weights will be kept by a stationary weigh/event master so that shore anglers can cull without distressing the fish. The two heaviest fish of each rough species (anything that doesn't have a limit per regs) will count towards total weight, with possible bonuses or special prizes for rare catches. A "no-weighable" lunch period will be in place.
A large percentage of the pot will be prize payout, and a smaller percentage would be used for a "tailgate" barbecue dinner after the event - for comeraderie, kid-time and just plain hangin' out.

RULES
-anyone may enter at any time during the duration of the event (national weather service sunrise time until 5:00 pm)
-total weight of non-gamefish wins. Gamefish being anything the State of Minnesota has put a limit on.
-2 heaviest fish of any acceptable species will count towards total weight.
-a weight-to-point system should be in effect so that rare catches such as Bowfin and Gar can get bonuses
-fish may be culled but must be alive when weighed. A "running tab" will be kept by the weighmaster for each registered angler.
-fish may be harvested after being weighed alive
-entry fee is not per team, but $5.00 or $10.00 per angler with payout being per angler as well. (oh dump...I hope I'm gonna need a huge dry-erase board )
-payout will be an obtuse percentage of the total pot, with an acute percentage going towards the "tailgating"

That's all I have - any ideas, brainstorms or comments? All are appreciated.

I have two ringer-spots in mind for these events and I could use 2 more. I'm looking for river locations with a big parking lot close to the bank, a suitable launch, and enough structure & species spread to provide ample fishing opportunities.

Respectfully Yours,
Rob
[email protected]