• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

carp/catfishing

Hello everyone, I'm new here. This weekend I'm going fishing at Pig's Eye Lake near Cottage Grove were I live, for flathead catfish and carp. The lake also has Bowfin and shortnose gar which I'm interested in catching but I'm not quite sure what would work for those species in that condition but if anyone knows I would appreciate the help. For bait I'm going to use strawberry Berleky carp bait, garbonzo beans and sweet corn for carp and a big sucker under a very large slip-float for catfish. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me? Anyone else fishing this weekend?

You have the right idea!!! I would think that the carp are about ready to spawn so I would be looking for them to be in pretty shallow water. For the catfish, you could end up doing pretty good for the channels during the day and flatheads at night. I would look for the channels to be in snags, and points. Flatheads can be caught during the day but your best bet is at night, near those snags yo get the channels at and a good one is a shallow flat with a drop off into deep water, they will come and cruise the flats at night looking for whatever fits into their mouths. good luck!
><>deadeye

Yeah. Pig Eye is a shallow little backwaters area.. it doesn't get more than 5 feet deep, but I hear it's a blast when fish move in there from the main channel in the spring and summer. I might have to go down there sometime and check it out.

Right On - mnfisherman! If you make it out Monticello way, any of the city parks along The River will have carp/sucker that can be had on crawlers. Good Luck!

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes