• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bait for carp??

I grew up fishing the Minneapolis lakes for carp, especially Harriet & Calhoun. Corn always worked great, but we usually made up a batch of dough bait. In the 70's & 80's we caught tons of carp with dough bait. I haven't made this in a long time, but here it is if I remember right:
1 pack of strawberry or cherry jello
1 cup of water
1 cup of flour
2 cups of cornmeal
1 teaspoon of vanilla

1.) Boil the water, jello & vanilla in a large pot.
2.) Turn off the heat and add the flour & cornmeal.
3.) Mix with a large spoon. A wooden spoon works good.
4.) Remove dough mixture & knead on a piece of foil.
5.) Wrap in foil to keep from drying out.
You can add water or flour to get the right consistency. The vanilla is supposed to be the secret ingredient.
Just cover the hook with the dough and fish the bottom. Good luck! Vern

[This message has been edited by vern (edited 05-06-2002).]

The biggest problem was having it dry out, so try putting it in a zip-lock bag. I'm sure if you kept it in the fridge or even froze it, it would last a good long time. Just soften it up quite a bit before you use it again. It's been years since I've made a batch, but it definitely worked for us. There are probably hundreds of similar recipes that other people use. Just try to get the right consistency so that it stays on the hook, but you can easily pull through it & get a good hook set. We laugh about it now, but we used to form these huge potato sized dough balls over the hook & would cast them out about a mile on Harriet. We caught lots of monster carp, but I think we over did it on the dough balls a little. You might want to downsize your bait quite a bit from that. But that was old school Mpls. carpin'! Good luck, Vern