• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have decided to switch to all-copper bullets in my .30-06 for deer hunting. I am looking at the Barnes vor-tx and the federal premium vital-shok trophy copper. Anybody have any experience with one or both? The ballistics look a tiny bit better for the Barnes but since I really don't get shots much over 100 yards it probably doesn't matter.

I was wanting to make the switch also with my .270,  I bought a box of the Barnes VOR-TX and for me at 27 yards (yes 27 yards would get me close to a 250 yard zero) they shot 4" high and 2" to the right, When I checked how the bullet was seated in the case they were all loose to the point i could spin them in the case.  I called Barnes and they said that is common for all copper bullets to hit high and to the right and to be loose in the case like that.  I ended up getting them dialed in but I'm going to stick with my Federal fusion ammo since it's easier to find and half the price.

i switched to copper a few years ago, specifically to barnes vor-tx; they're not cheap! I believe the federal coppers are about 40-45% cheaper but they dont carry them here in brainerd. I have the barnes for my 270 and 30-06 and they shoot great, I would love to try dialing in at 200 though.

the only downfall I've read on the monolithic bullets are the entry/exit holes, more or less like the diameter of a pencil if no bone is hit, still kills kick but the blood trails are minimal

I switched to Hornady GMX 165 gr in 30-06, 300 Win Mag and 300 Wtby Mag. All shoot really well, all pass through with little expansion. My buddy with the 300 Wtby Mag calls them meat savers. The elk and dear are just as dead with little meat ruined

32 minutes ago, stele said:

I switched to Hornady GMX 165 gr in 30-06, 300 Win Mag and 300 Wtby Mag. All shoot really well, all pass through with little expansion. My buddy with the 300 Wtby Mag calls them meat savers. The elk and dear are just as dead with little meat ruined

stele Welcome to the forum.  

They may not expand as much as brass and lead but "Gilding Metal eXpanding" (GMX), seems to be in the name?  

I've been shooting federal premium trophy copper in my .270 for the past few years.   I switched after the blue box federals didn't pass through a 3.5 year old buck at about 60 yards or so. I found the round just under the hide on the far side and only recovered the buck because I smelled him while doing a grid search. I've shot several deer with them and I have no complaints.  An added bonus is they shoot just like the blue box ones do in my rifle.