• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Ice Castle Questions

trav102

Hey all,

I recently upgraded from my homemade wheelhouse to a new hydraulic ice castle and had a few questions I forgot to ask at the dealer.

1. For the hydraulic frame, does anyone bring extra hydraulic fluid with? Wouldn't imagine to need it unless you had a leak but I don't know much about hydraulics. Ever need to change out the fluids?

2. Ladders. After buying and trying to get on the top bunk I noticed it is extremely hard to climb up there (especially after a few beers) are they suppose to come with a ladder? was going to call the dealer and try and make them throw one in. I made a temporary ladder which works fine but wondering what other people have done.

3. DNR Registration numbers. My previous house I had some decals made up and looked real nice. However that had smooth siding. Anyone have any advice on where to put numbers that look good? Suppose I could just be extra careful in applying to the ribbed siding so they get applied smooth with the grooves but wondering where everyone else puts theirs. Don't really want to do the old white square boat numbers on there.

4. Microwaves. Anyone have any recommendations on a good microwave to install? I have a lot of empty space above the hydraulics near the kitchen I think a microwave would be perfect, and there is already an outlet there for charging the hydraulic system battery - just wondering if anyone had a good one for travel/low power draw.

5. Any recommendations on generators? Was going to go buy a new Honda 2000 have heard good things about them and always been a Honda fan. that should run a small microwave I'm thinking? My Honda 1000 bit the dust last year - mainly because of my own mistake haha

6. Sound system. Sounds okay in there but it isn't the upgraded premium speakers. Wondering if anyone had some new speakers they liked and possibly a new deck.

7. Rod holders. Wanted to throw some fishing pole holders on the wall in the bathroom. Was having a hard time finding any I liked at the stores or online. Anyone have something that worked well for them, and didn't fall out during transit? I had one last year I had mounted under a cabinet and of course the first weekend with my new crappie pole fell off and broke!

Figured I'd see if anyone had any advice on what worked well for them. Thanks in advance!!

One more thing I forgot to add, are the insulated wheel well covers worth it? Wanted to get something at least to protect the wheels in the summer from mud/sun etc., but came across insulated covers for like $200 bucks. Worth it for the money or just get some cheap wheel covers at like fleet farm?