• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

870 express 20 ga. ?????

Looking to buy a shotgun to do a little grouse hunting, went out last night and checked out what's available. The 870 express is not one of those guns you will drull over but it is affordable and in the 20 ga. I have to belive it is a good all around grouse gun? My father in law has a winchester 1200 12ga. I can get for a good price but to me it feels bulky, like someone tied a brick on the end! I also have thought about a used Remington 1100 but I think that is a good second gun not a first? Any thoughts, thanks!!

Go for a 20... I do all of my pheasant and a little grouse hunting with an Ithaca light 20. Once you get some confidence with the smaller bore, you'll never want to carry a heavy twelve again! What you might lack in power is compensated with being able to draw and swing the lighter gun more quickly. You will consistently get on a flushing bird more quickly than your counterpart toting a 12 ga.

I've been using my old 870 express 12 ga. for everything. Got a few different choke tubes for grouse, duck, and turkey. Good for turkey hunting, sucks for grouse. After walking threw thick cover, it feels like I'm carrying a howitzer. My buddy has a nice and light 20 ga. and is quicker on the draw. Some day I'll get one, and keep the 12 for turkey.

Thanks for the info, I picked up that 870 express 20 ga. at gander last night and monkied around with it in the store and the gun as a whole just seems like a great gun, lightweight and balanced well, another thing is they are'nt to fancy but I just want a good reliable gun to roam around with and maybe nab afew birds with the youngster. They have it listed for $259.00, is that a decent price?(I thought)