• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New lens ideas

I have been using the kit 18-135 on my Canon 7D. But it is acting funny so I want to get a different lens. I am looking for landscape lens. To give you an idea of what I am looking at is Canon 16-35 2.8L II.  Thoughts on that lens or anything comparable?

For a landscape lens you won't really be taking advantage of the speed of the f2.8 lens. You also have to look at the $1600 price. Unless you are looking for other uses for this lens that you will have the need for a fast lens I would take a look at three other lenses. The newer Canon 16-35 f4 and the Canon 17-40 f4. One other to consider is the new 10-18 IS STM.

16-35 f4 is a wonderful new addition to the lineup but it really is designed for a full frame camera. There is not much advantage to using it on a crop camera. Sharp through out, edge to edge, has IS, is an "L" lens. Price around $1100.

17-40 f4 is an older lens that I've owned for many years. I have in excess of 50,000 frames with this lens. Sharp when stopped down a bit, no IS, is an "L" lens. Price around $800. Again not a huge help on a crop sensor camera like the 7D. I've used mine with my 7D but you don't really get a true wide angle that is good for landscape purposes.

The obvious winner for a number of reasons. The new Canon 10-18. This lens is designed for the crop sensor cameras on a full frame it would equate to about a 16-28mm. In fact it doesn't work on full frame, so if you are looking at upgrading your body to a full frame this may alter your decision. This is the sharpest wide angle Canon makes, hands down! Newer IS (four stop gain) which makes up for its f4.5 to f5.6 variable aperture. Its a plastic mount, no big deal, light weight and fast focus ability. Best of all its about $250 to $300! Wow, to me its an easy decision!

Thanks Dan. As always, you are the best. I was looking at  the 2.8 for pictures of the kids(the reason not being able to post much). I like the shallow depth of field. I haven't checked so I will ask here, is the 16-35 for a crop sensor? 

What are your thoughts about the 10-18 not being L? I have the 100mm L macro and can noticeably tell the difference when looking through the veiwfinder never mind the final outcome. 

You will not notice a difference in depth of field unless you are shooting real close! The 16-35 again is a full frame focal length by the time you put it on a crop sensor you are at a 24 - 52. Its more of a normal zoom than a wide angle. As for the 10-18 not being an L well I personally would worry one bit about it. The reviews are downplaying any significance in that. You can't compare your current kit lens with this one. The 4 stop IS negates the slower speed of the lens and optical quality is extremely high. L lenses offer some weather sealing and a red stripe on the lens. Neither is likely to be an issue:)  The L is also a much heaver lens for the obvious reasons more glass.

For the money I wouldn't think twice about the 10-18. You get a much better focal length for landscapes at a fraction of the cost. I have both EF and EF-S mount cameras so I buy lenses that will work on both or I would have a copy in my bag.

I currently use a Rokinon 14mm f2/8 that is manual focus only as my main Landscape lens and that cost about the same as the 10-18 that has lightening fast auto focus! But it works on both lens mounts. Auto focus is really not a concern for landscape work, I generally have my focus taped to infinity. Depth of field really is not an issue at all unless you are shooting "macro".

Take a look at the 17-35, it has IS and is more designed for use on crop bodies. Or another choice would be the 10-22 also a newer lens designed for crop sensors. All at higher prices but better choices on your camera I think than the 16-35.

Thanks again Dan, that's good stuff. I am now leaning toward the 10-18. That is if you really think the optics are L series-esk? 

Another question, only going up to 18mm leaves me pretty short. I borrowed a 50 from a friend and liked it. I was thinking about getting one of those for the medium shots. Thoughts on that? I am not stuck on just Canon either.

Proof is in the pudding! Excellent shots by Cicada! If you are looking for a 50 take a look at the plastic fantastic, the nifty 50. About a $100 or so. Great little lens that won't break the bank. 50 f1.8. I own the older version of this lens and its a winner!

Pudding!?! I love pudding. I am thinking now about doing the 10-18 and a 50. But I have always had zooms. So I am worried about gaps and having to change lens all day. Is there a good zoom lens? Or would I get better results with a couple different lens?

Well if there was great do all lens that covered all the lengths you would need....well it would cost a fortune! You mentioned in your first post about a landscape lens. The 10-18 will likely stay on your camera when you are shooting landscapes. The 50 will have a different purpose, usually portrait type shots. You normally will not be doing much switching during the course of a day, at least I don't.

There are some third party options as well. Tamron makes an 18-270 that makes a very nice walk around lens that will cover most shooting options. Less than $400. You have to decide how you will use your lens and what is important to you. A single do all lens or options for prime lens that cover different situations. Its why I recommend to folks starting out (not you I know) that they shoot with the lens that comes with the camera for a bit until they see how they will be using their camera and what they will be shooting.

Excellent point again Dan. I have read that ones like the Tamron have a sweet spot in the middle range but isn't great on the extremes. 

One last question, maybe last one, I have seen some bad things about STM focusing. So, STM or USM? I do not use my DSLR for video.

Well, I'm not sure there are really bad things about STM focusing. You sacrifice a small amount of speed for quiet operation. I've not heard of it being an issue. They have been designed for video applications but that doesn't limit them to only that. So break it down to this, if you are using an STM focus lens for primarily more static events such as landscapes, portraits, etc. There is no disadvantage to STM. If you shoot fast moving events such as sports and some wildlife USM might be better. I shoot primarily sports so I need fast focusing lenses and camera bodies. Thats why my sports gear is "L" with USM focus systems, f2.8 or faster lenses and Series 1D camera bodies.

For my landscape work I use manual focus and whatever camera body is in my hand. Same with portrait work. I don't need speed in these scenarios so I don't get as hung up on those factors. Lens IQ and sharpness matter more.

The Tamron or really any wide range zoom lens will have issues, some people can over look them and use them with the built in limitations. I will say you will hard pressed to replace a prime with a consumer zoom lens. In camera lenses you often get exactly what you pay for! There are some exceptions to that such as the 10-18 which by Cicada's examples and others I've seen. It sounds like you are making an informed decision, taking the time to research plus and minuses and how they will work for you. Above all that is the most important thing that can be said, will it work for you and your shooting and shooting style?

I was very impressed with the speed of focusing of the 10-18 and it as quiet as advertised.  I have gotten a lot of use from that lens since I purchased it in February.  I also like the great depth of field I can get with this lens, almost from my feet to infinity.  It is not a professional grade, fast lens, but with the image stabilization you can hand hold shot that would normally require a tripod.  You can't beat this lens for the price.

I also have a nifty 50, 1.8.  The slowest of the 50mm prime lenses.  It does a great job of gathering light and gives me very sharp images.  Very little distortion and vignetting.  Both of these lenses are very reasonably priced, maybe due to being cheaply built (lot of plastic), but they are great lenses for me and my income bracket. 

The kit lens that came with my camera is the EFS 18-55 IS 3.5-5.6 macro.  It has a nice usable range, is reasonably priced, and gives me the ability to get close to a subject.  I don't know that it's a true macro, but it does let me get to within .8 ft of the subject.

My understanding is the wider the zoom range in a particular lens, the less usable sweet spot. 

Another option if you'd like to try before you buy is renting a lens.  One of the members of our photo group in Detroit Lakes uses borrowlenses.com.  She frequently rents lenses for her job, but then gets to try them out for her personal style.