• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trailer size vs. mpg

How big of a difference in mpg would I have between a 14ft utility/atv trailer and a 16-18ft dovetail car trailer? I have a 2009 Chev 1/2 ton 5.3L with 3.73 gears. I need a bigger trailer to haul my atv and flipover ice house but I'm also interested in a trailer to haul my off-road jeep. Just wondering if my mileage would really get killed if I went the car trailer route.

I have a 5x10 utility trailer now but it's too small for the wheeler and ice house and I have a 16x8 enclosed trailer for the jeep but it's a little much for my truck. I'm just barely under the tow rating. Using the enclosed trailer for winter isn't really an option since I store summer stuff in it.

I am leaning towards just getting a car trailer but I do not want my mpg to drop into the 12s or lower with just hauling the atv and ice house.

I made that switch a few years back to haul our ATVs. I'm guessing I dropped 2 to 3 mpg. There is a considerable difference in the weight. I don't use mine in the winter but I wonder how the dovetail will be with going on and off the lakes? With the dovetail sitting so low to the ground, I would suspect it would drag depending on the angle of the ramp/landing.

Glock

On a 600 mile trip with the 8,000lb suv and a 20ft flatbed with a four door car on it averaged 15mpg. Same rig with a smaller flat bed like trailer add a couple mpg.

I've found it's better to a trailer that's too big rather than find yourself with a trailer that's too small.

To do over again would have gotten 6or7K lb axles for the flat bed rather than 3,500lb axles and electric hydraulic tilt bed rather than hand pump tilt bed.

Hate to say it but you will be better off with the enclosed trailer pulling both your atv and of course fish house. I put over 10,000 miles pulling my atv on the atv trailer and now the machine is quite rusty.

I highly recommend and enclosed trailer or at least a very good cover that totally encloses the ATV if trailering in the winter. The first year I towed it muzzleloader hunting during december and with the salt on the roads it is now a rust bucket. Never make that mistake again.