• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

need some help

stckthrwr

So, with the wind tomorrow, I don't really want to be sitting in a tree stand, and the deer I saw last time I was out was about 60 yards away. I'm thinking of bringing my ground blind and setting it up against a tree closer to where the deer was. Other choice is just sitting next to the tree and not moving. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Nathan

From my experience ground blinds even if well brushed in, tend to alarm the local deer, if not just spook them when first set up. However since tomorrow is firearms opener you might see a lot of deer that are not familiar with where you are at. Kind of a toss of the dice on a newly set up ground blind if your just hunting deer. If your after a particular deer, then I would just try using natural cover and keep wind direction in mind when setting up. Set up where you have some cover for when you draw. And be patient, wait till you can't be seen to draw.

One tip I give to anyone who is hunting from the ground is clear all the leaves and sticks and anything else away from all around the tree you are by so you can move quietly when getting ready to shoot. Moving on bare earth is almost silent compared to any type of grass or leaves. I usually clear back about three feet or so in case I need to get on the other side of the tree.

Good luck and would like to hear how your hunt goes.

Tim