• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New trolling motor

cabin boy

I'm taking the plunge and buying a Terrova i-pilot 80 24v. Couple questions: Will I need to remove my 12v outlet/plug in and replace it with something suitable for 24v? Also I need to know how to wire the trolling motor, 2 batteries and a dual bank charger. Thanks in advance!

You can use the same plug. Just wire your 2 batteries in series. Hook up the red wire from the plug to the positive on battery 1 and the black wire from the plug to the negative on battery 2. Make a jumper to connect the negative of battery 1 to the positive on battery 2. That makes 24 volts. For the charger take one set of leads and hook the red terminal to the positive of battery 1 and the black terminal to the negative of battery 1. Take the other set of leads and hook the red terminal to the positive of battery 2 and the black terminal to the negative of battery 2. Each battery is charged by 12 volts. Take the male plug off your old trolling motor and attach to the leads of the trolling motor.

If you want to get really fancy, get a 3 bank charger so the starting battery gets charged too. Running live wells and all the electronics can run it down eventually, depending on how much you run the big motor.

It really sucks to come out in the morning and the big motor won't crank.

Make sure your boat has heavy enough gauge wire to accommodate the increased amp loads of the new wire. 8 AWG at minimum. You will also need a 60 amp breaker installed between batteries and the motor.

This!

If you need new/bigger wiring, I just buy from big box store, don't worry that it is not marine. Just run it through that plastic tubing (or somehow cushioned from rubbing and bouncing on bare alum) and you are fine. I have 8 ga. from Menerds that has been working in a well used boat for over 10 years. Your plug may be a 12/24 v plug, that you just need to make sure is wired properly for 24. Just take it apart to see.