• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2000 Yahama 80 Fourstroke

-Marc V-

Well, I'm not sure where "CakeEater, MN" is but I suppose it's possible you're looking at the motor I traded-in last fall?

Same year and HP.

It wasn't running the best and I had it in a shop a few times to fix it...altho I found out later from the place I traded it in to, they didn't do me any favors.

Anyhow, it had carb issues or fuel in general and I was headed north for week so I decided to trade in for a new 75 HP Yammy WITH EFI.

My 80 HP, when it was running good...it ran good, never had a stitch of problem with it.

That being said, it's 14 years old and carb so with todays fuel...well nuf said. Maybe I didn't take care of the fuel right over the winters...I thought I did.

It's a great motor...when it's running right if that helps.

Good luck!

Hi Haley, I'm in Eagan. The motor is attached to a boat I'm thinking of buying too, so might not be the same one if you just traded in your motor. I'd MUCH rather have an EFI personally, but package deal type thing. Good info about your other motor to keep in mind too. With todays gas and carbs might just be what it is sadly unless I fill it with aviation gas each time which would be a cost and pain...

Hey Marc -

Nope, this motor was traded down in Rochester at the Yammy dealer. I should mention..I SHOULD have taken the motor here in the first place. They are a Yamaha dealer and looking back, I know they could have have fixed me up for a LOT cheaper than shelling out for a new motor. I might have still had issues with the fuel a few times.

I can't say I regret the upgrade too much. The new 75 is a sweet motor and has the VTS so I can run the RPM's way down and troll about 1 MPH with a 17' fiberglass boat. And no carb's !!! Woo Hoo !

How do you like your Skeet?

Love it. Probably the best boat I've ever owned. I also have a smaller alum boat that I use in the backwaters and small lakes. Takes a fairly decent landing and a few feet of water to float it!

haley, What issues were you having and what did they do to fix them? I have a 2003 Yamaha 75 with carbs. I have off and on problems when going to top end. The motor bogs down and won't get up on plane. The worst is that it always happens when on vacation or in fishing tourneys. I too take precautions with the gas-ring free every time I fill up. Thinking about getting a water/fuel seperator. Also thinking of trading in for EFI, but not thinking I would get much on trade.

Hey Buck - Sounds like your motor has the same problem as mine did. Started fine but missed a little. Give it gas and it bogged down. And yep, same thing here...when I REALLY needed it is when it acted up...perfect timing! I never got it fixed before I traded it but Al's in Rochester called me on it...and I did tell them the motor had issues but not all the time. They thought maybe it was a compression problem but when I told 'em about the carb issues I was having, they knew what it was and said they would honor the trade-in price they quoted me. They did a comp check anyhow and it was fine. Now what the exact problem was...that I couldn't tell you. I know it was something about the carbs but that's about all I know. They did tell me it was a couple hundred dollar fix so I'm guessing carb kits? And I know the dam kits aren't cheap and there's not a lot too them!

I bet Al's or maybe, any other good Yamaha dealer would be able to fix you up for a couple hun...cheaper than a new one...but...I sure do like my new one !!

Good Luck!

I should have added this: The motor ran fine but I could get maybe 10 mph or so...never could get it to top speed. I sounded like it was running on 2 or 3 instead of 4...boggy. Sometimes...It would all of sudden pick up and go but most times not.