• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Nipigon (Or Any Advice On Early Season Lake FIshing For Trout)

TMF89

So I'll be doing Nipigon in mid-May, and I'm just kind of excited (I already bought two new rods solely for chasing those monster brookies lol). I'm looking for any advice you guys can give me on early spring brook/lake trout fishing in a big water environment, especially anyone who's actually been up to the sixth Great Lake!

As of now I'm thinking 7' light/medium light rods for longer casts and a bit more backbone for those big brookies. I haven't decided on line yet, thoughts? I'm thinking light braid (love the new Seagaur Smackdown), 6/8/10lb depending on the brand. Obviously I'd run a leader of flouro/mono for at least a few feet with this method. Otherwise I'd spool up with 6lb flouro/mono. I'll have at least two-three rods rigged up at all times for brookies, although they'll probably pull double duty as walleye rods if the eyes are up shallow when I'm up there.

As far as lures, I have a decent selection of gear that I think will work, but I'd love to hear your favorites as well. Smaller spinners/spoons, small crankbaits, and jigs/plastics in light/natural and bright colors is what I was thinking, obviously I'm thinking flash will be a big deal with the early season, clear water conditions. Do any of you guys ever run small split shot ahead of the lures to get them down deeper?

As far as locations go, I plan on fishing it with basically the mindset of lightweight smallmouth bass fishing. Fishing any shoreline structure I can see, submerged timber, rocks, underwater points reaching out from shore, etc.

When it comes to lake trout, I plan on using my northern pike gear/lures, but I'm not really sure on their early season habits. Do they move into really skinny water like bays, or do they just move in shallower but stay in the main lake, away from shoreline?

Thanks for the help guys! I'm excited for my trip and I want it to be as successful as possible. So I figured I better at least get a little input from guys who really know what they're talking about!

After 20 years fishing nipigon I can tell you to leave small lures in the tackle box, those trout often won't chase a bait that won't fill them up. There main food source is smelt so match the hatch. Floating rapalas in bright colors and larger sizes will be the general theme. Spoons work well also but can be hard to fish as a lot of the fish lay in the rocks within 1-3' of shore. Bring extra reels for lakers as these fish are not the little butterballs that come out of the Great Lakes. In my experience the average is 20-25lbs and I have personally seen several over 50lbs. Also FYI walleye fishing on lake nipigon and and connected waters doesn't open till mid June and they will ticket you for it. Pike never closes up there and they should be shallow by then, 4years ago I had a day where I landed 19 pike over42" in a single afternoon. Feel free to pm me with any questions or if you would like some info on good spots to start fishing