• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carb questions - 97 yamaha

JScott

Hey everyone- it's a good garage week around here to tune up the sleds!

I've got a vmax 600xtc that I bought used a few years ago. The plug tips are looking very black lately, and it seems to be burning a little more oil/smoking. I'm thinking of removing the carbs and cleaning them but haven't done it before on this sled. I have done a mikuni single on my cat, so I think I can handle it.

Question #1- Can I adjust how lean/rich easily on this set up (two carbs), if so how?

Question #2- Any tips on getting the carbs out or differences from the 94 mikuni that I have experience with?

Thanks.

To answer question one. Yes they are easy to adjust, but you shouldn't have to make any adjustments. I memory serves they are 1 1/4 turns out from lightly seated.

#2 You have to pull the air box to get them out easily. Not a big deal. unplug the ignition coil, loosen the clamps on the intake boots and pull the 6mm bolt on the top of the box. it practically falls out itself.

By the sounnds of it the air jets on the back of the carbs are plugged. They get covered in belt dust. Be sure to wash out the airbox too.

Avoid splitting the carbs unless they are really bad. You will need a 3mm allen to get the slids out of them, so you can remove the emulsion tubes. They are not hard to do, just a flat slide type. You can bench sync them with a drill bit.

I have cleaned hundreds of these type carb. I have a 99 mountain max 600 and a 00 mountain max 700.

One thing also is if it still uses a lot of oil after this the pump has gone south. Which they usually fail wide open on these. Mine failed and i was using 3 quarts of oil in 60 miles. so thats something to look at. but it is a rare thing.

have fun and take your time. easy peasy!!

Sledhead, I got the carbs cleaned a couple of weeks ago. Time will tell about the oil consumption and plug conditions since I haven't ridden it since then and we are done for the season. Carbs came out easy enough once air box removed. They were a little gunked up around the needles so I'm glad I pulled them. I was unsure of what you meant about bench syncing with a drill bit. Is there a symptom that would indicate a need for this? It seems to run fine on the trailer. Revved it up on the lift. Thanks.