• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stream fishing this month in Winona/Whitewater area?

PakAttack86

Ice fishing is done, and not nearly warm enough for river fishing. Thought maybe I'd have some fun catch-releasing some trout in the Whitewater area this weekend.

Will the trout be biting this time of month? I anticipate the water moving fairly fast and being fairly high due to the sudden temperature increase and lots of melting snow. Tips? I plan on fishing right in Whitewater State Park, just shoveling out paths where I can.

Thanks for any advice.

I've been doing well so far this year. The streams were still in good shape a couple days ago but yes will be getting faster and more stained by the day. Target the upper stretches of the streams when this happens and water conditions will be more normal.

Thanks for the quick response! I plan on using light spinning gear. Last time I was down there I was using small spinners and rooster tails, only managed to pull out rainbows. Advice on what to use (spinning gear wise) for other variety? Thanks again.

Spinners (i use panther martins), small cranks, plastics (swim baits, twister tails, artificial trout worms, etc). Most popular with spin fisherman are spinners, and work well for all species, may have been more to do with the specific streams you were in. I have been trying to get more variety to my arsenal and haven't tied on a spinner yet this year.