• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Qualifying Process

LMITOUT

Quote:
NASCAR will employ two different qualifying systems; a three-session format for tracks at least 1.25 miles in length and a two-session format for those shorter than 1.25 miles.

For tracks at least 1.25 miles in length, the first session will include all cars for 25 minutes. The 24 cars that post the fastest single lap (among all their laps) will advance to the next round. The second round will be 10 minutes, with the 12 fastest single-lap drivers advancing to a final five-minute round. The drivers who do not make the final round will start in positions 13-24 in the race.

There will be a five-minute break between each qualifying round.

For tracks less than 1.25 miles in length, there will be two sessions — a first session of 30 minutes with the top 12 advancing to a 10-minute final round to determine the pole. There will be a 10-minute break between the qualifying rounds.

Anybody watch the new knock-out qualifying yesterday? Basically the teams taped up their car like they typically do for qualifying and made a 1 or 2 lap run, but since NASCAR won't allow the teams to use fans or other methods to cool down the cars they just idled around the track at 40mph and waited for them to cool down again before taking another run. So what you had was a parade of cars coasting around the bottom of the track with faster cars trying to get in a qualifying time. Sure seems like a cluster with the rules NASCAR has and is looking for an accident to happen.

The drivers said they like the new format but were also frustrated that they couldn't use anything to cool down the cars. NASCAR said afterwards that they had some teams approach them privately and tell them they didn't want teams to cool down the cars. ??? NASCAR also knew going in this would be an issue, as did the teams, but NASCAR's answer was to not run as much tape. crazy

I guess for me it was ok. I believe most every track you will see a new track record like yesterday. Give the drivers numerous chances to run laps for qualifing and they will make the car better and then the new track records will be set.

Team's will learn how to deal with the cool down and in 4-5 more races, they will have it down pat.

Would I rather they go back to the old system for qualifing, not sure.

All the drivers I saw interviewwde seemed ok with it on TV, after that, things could have changed.

I liked it too, except for the "intermission" when the cars just idled around. Looks pretty dumb, IMO.

If they allowed a real cool down it'd be a lot more exciting and would result in what the goal was all along with this F1 style qualifying. The way they are doing it now they might as well go back to the old procedure because it isn't much different except cars might get two good runs instead of one.

I looks like NASCAR came to their senses and addressed the cool-down parade today. Driving around to cool down the engines will no longer be allowed, but instead teams will be able to send two people over the wall (previously it was one) and a cooling system can be hooked up via the flaps in the hood. Raising the hood is still not allowed.