• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tried different atvs last weekend

BoxMN

Was hunting in NoDak and farmer friends told us to take their toys out and try to get stuck smile

New Gator "sporty" style, not sure of specifics;

Couple year old Honda Rancher with power steering and auto shift;

Couple year old Caman 800 something

-I didn't really pay attention to models but have a few observations...

First, the power steering is just awesome. I don't think I would get one again without it, after using it.

Second, I like the auto shifting, or non shifting, as opposed to my ES on my Honda. The Honda had option to use ES or auto, and the auto was pretty darn nice and smoother than I would have guessed.

I kind of liked the smaller size of the Honda over the 800, but boy did that 800 have spunk! And nice suspension. Seat was a bit hard on the 800 though... If I was buying one for my uses (ice fishing, putting around - not racing around) I would get the smaller Honda I think. If racing around the bigger one. It just floated down the roads and cornfields.

The Gator was easy to drive, pretty comfy, but like a Ranger I used last year, it was loud inside that cab. Drove through some pretty mucky stuff, ditches and mud around sloughs, and this just wasn't getting stuck unless you drove into the slough wink The biggest complaint is that the windshield would get mudded up, or water/ice formed on it and then you had to putt putt as you just couldn't see anything through it. They need wipers on that thing!

Farmers love the Gator, love the power of the 800 Canam, but day to day their goto atv are the Hondas. The Canam they said has had problems since day one, not starting, electronic problems, and they just can't depend on it, but they like driving it when it is working. The Hondas they have do most of the chores and is their workhorse, and with the power steering those are the ones they like for bringing in the cattle.

I was really impressed with the power steering, that is something on my list if I ever get another - probably by that time I won't be able to get one withtout it though, haha!

I rarely go and beat on my atv, never actually, so this was fun when my buddy said to go and don't bring them back unless they are muddy. Hehe, was a fun hunt, and we even got a few birds, and used atv to knock down paths in big cattails for easier walking in wink