• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pimp my Bow

Just picked up a free compound (forgot the name) but it came with nothing! I need your help from sights, rests, releases, arrows, and whatever else you deem necessary. Looking for what works…meaning if it’s cheap or expensive, I don’t care (If the bow brand is important, I’ll get the info on here).

Thanks,

CC

It is up to you but I would suggest taking it to a pro shop and having them set it up for you. Normally if you buy the acc. thru them they will set it up for free...normally. There is so many choices in rests, sights, etc that it is overwhelming. Depending on what you go with you can be spending alot of coin! You may be able to find some good used add-ons if you go to Archery Talk .com in the classifieds. I have bought a ton of stuff off there and never had a problem. Good luck and if you have any specific questions on a brand post it up...everyone will have a different opinion guaranteed!

I'll give you a list of what I use and my thoughts on it:

1) PSE Micro Adrenaline, 50lb limbs. I love it, because it was in my price range and fits my smaller frame and lower draw weight. Also I can ethically put "boiler room" shots at 30 yards. I could do it at 40 yards, but I won't.

2) Whisker biscuit rest. I love it. It slows down arrows more than more expensive and fancier rests, but if archery hunting relied more on arrow speed than shot placement, you wouldn't see traditional archery being used. If I had a nicer bow and was able to practice more, I'd probably take advantage of faster, more accurate rests to have fun with long distance shots. QAD gets rave reviews here for full-containment drop-away rests.

3) I have a cheap 4 pin sight that came with a bow. I wish it was round shaped rather than square to fit with my peed sight's field of view, I think I would have a better visual to help make sure I'm using a consistent anchor point. I'd love to try "fancier" sights some day to see what kind of difference it'd make. If I was making arrows fly 300fps+, I'd definitely make an argument for a single pin or just a two pin sight. I really only use a 20 yard pin and a 30 yard pin.

4) Release. I have a "cobra" brand, don't know what model. I didn't spend big bucks on it, but I have ZERO complaints.

5) Carbon arrows. I let the pro shop pick them out for me. I can screw in different points and broadheads. I use 100 grain field points for target practice.

6) Broadheads - I forget the brand I have, but it wasn't a big name. Slower bow, smaller broadhead, but good shot placement killed my deer all the same. Fixed 4 bladed 100 grain, pretty standard and did the job admirably. It's probably easier for the guys on these forums to name "bad" broadheads than it is to name all the good ones. Your big choice will probably be mechanical vs fixed blade.

7) Target - I have one that says "black hole" on it. I probably have somewhere from 500-1000 field points that have gone into it, and it's still going strong.

I can't remember all the other accessories.