• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is a good affordable crossbow for bear hunting

I am thinking about getting a crossbow. I have never bowhunted. I mostly use a 12 ga. for deer and bear. Am thinking that a nice quiet crossbow might be the way to go at least for bear. I can't afford a top of the line new one. Wondering what you guys use. I do want a scope on it too.

I have a Tenpoint Titan with accu draw and a scope came with it. I would check and see what companies have good reviews on customer service and product reports. I would also look for last years models because they will be a lot less than the new models.

So after researching the Titan. The Accu-Draw is the mechanism to cock the bow. Is that correct? It looks like that is $200. Well I want to do this right. Sounds like it is important to have. The reviews are really good on this crossbow.

Horton, ten point , barnet are all good bows, I have a Horton, love it. 325 fps don't need much more than that. for deer or bear any cross bow with FPS of 280 to 350 will do nicely. Your gonna love it. I like a very simple single red dot scope a lot of your crossbows will come with a scope of 3 dots for yardage, for deer this is good but bear I like a single red dot that your yardage is already fixed to the distance of the bait. Adrenaline is pumping an with 3 dots one can get easily confused. Deer 3 bear 1. Get a cocking pulley, very inexpesive but needed so you get even draw weight on each side of the limbs, if you try to cocking your bow by using your hands you can easily pull one side more than the other an cause big problems in accuracy. Some bows come with a cocking crank in them but you pay for it to. Bolyt generally come in 20 to 22 inches an of course wiehgt is a thing to considerd, a heavier bolt of course will loose energy quicker after about 35 yards, I shoo a 22 inch bolt in the Easton brand, cant remember the grains but its on the heavy side. At 15 yards for my bear shot that sucker pluges thu a bear an buries it self 6 inches in the ground. You want heavy with big boned fury animals. Good luck have fun these devices are awesome!

Yes that is correct. I like my crossbow. The Accu draw provides a even draw of the bow string. I worked really well last fall. I did a lot of looking at crossbows before buying one seeing I use it during the archery season. I was in a toss up between Tenpoint and Excalibur. The reason I went with the tenpoint was the excalibur was much wider than the tenpoint and seeing I would be hunting in a ground blind I wanted to be able to move without the crossbow hitting the blind.

Well I bought a Ten Point Titan HLX. Love it. I brought it home and am hitting spot on target from 30 yds easily. It has the 30 40 and 50 increments on the scope. I have never really been into archery to heavy so this just amazes me. Cocks easier than I thought too. I bought it at Streiffs in Warroad. Very helpful guys there. This will be my bear hunting weapon now. Can't wait.