• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New sonar learning curve

TyGuy02

So I splurged and picked up some new toys for the boat. Hummingbird 998 si/di with the lakemaster chips and I-pilot link. Just got everything installed and operational in the driveway and will be able to make it out this weekend to test it out and learn how to use the side imaging in particular. I've watched all the YouTube videos a man can handle but how can I truly get this learning curve sharp so that by a month from now I can be much better with the unit? What views would other Si/di/map users suggest to start out? I was thinking of using the full screen views for the 3 presets to start, but should I do something different? How will I be certain that the transducer is mounted correctly? Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

It sounds like you already understand how SI and DI work .... now you just need to put in the time to use it and learn it. The only way to speed that up is to put in more time.

IMO the worst thing most guys do with new electronics is they turn them on and go fishing, without spending enough time learning and tweaking them. That goes for all electronics -- sonar, gps, si, di -- spending time learning the best ways to use them will help you get the most out of them. Everyone has limited time on the water and it's hard to set aside time to learn the electronics, but that is the best way to get the most out of them.

Until you really feel comfortable with your electronics, I think dedicating 30-60 minutes out of each trip on the water to using them and learning them is the way to go. Try different settings, adjust scroll speeds and sensitivity and contrast, try different color palettes, different screen views etc. etc. to see what they do or don't do for you. Try them over shallow water, over deep water, over hard bottoms, over soft bottoms, over weeds, over rocks etc etc so you learn what it looks like on the screen. Don't be afraid to restore the default settings and start over if needed.

What you don't want to do is turn them on with the auto settings and leave them there forever and just go fishing. They'll work fine, but you'll be missing out on a lot of info and potential.

If your spouse or kids like to go on boat rides this is a perfect time to spend a bunch of time learning your electronics.

I'm with you TyGuy, big curve switching brands and learning new menus and "terms" for what you want the finder to do. One piece of advice is to start with your SI range lower like no more than 60-80 feet out to each side so the objects you do see show up bigger on your screen. As the range increases, those noticeable objects become smaller to make up for the large area needed to be displayed on a set size screen.

I'll be doing the same thing tonight and tomorrow. Brand new Lowrance structure scan add on. Excited, but I know there will be a curve. Sorry I don't have anything to add, but good advice above. Keep it coming.

I went through this two years ago when I treated myself to new toys when I retired. I believe I spent nearly two days on the water and never brought the fishing equipment with me. I didn't want to be tempted to fish when I new I needed to learn. The wife came along and we made a day of it. It was the best two days I've had.

clKiekhafer, that's what I'm trying to find time to do but nobody believes that I won't bring a rod!

Musky, I'm going to try to do that, probably be spending alot of the time going 3-4 mph along the shoreline since the lake I'll be testing on is mostly a bowl with a couple of islands, mostly shoreline structure. Might feel a little overwhelmed the first few trips to Winnie or Cass though!

PJ, I know what you mean when you say that too many people just go fishing with it and don't take the time to learn what they are really doing. I've read how people can say that SI/DI hasn't put more fish in their boat and I wonder if they really know what they're doing with the technology. I remember the first time using a flasher ice fishing maybe 16 years ago or so and my father thought it was a handy way to know the depth and test how far off the bottom the bait was. We've came a long ways since then!

Well I got out for the first time with the new unit and it was everything that I imagined and more! The lake I fished doesn't have much structure other than shoreline breaks, and after a few tweaks I was able to get the picture to come in well. Used all aspects of the unit, even the dual-beam sonar to catch some crappies! Here's a picture of one of the first times I went by a school of crappies I found just off of the primary shoreline break in front of some bull-rushes in 10-13 FOW. The picture shows 24 that I can see, but on a pass later when I didn't get a picture I bet there was well over 100 on the screen. Most of them were little 8 inchers but got a 12" slab

full-31888-33246-012.jpg

full-31888-33247-011.jpg

Even pick up a stranger at the dock, Jim Uran was curious how the new toys would work

Looks like your catching on quick Tyler, you gotta love the SI, it's a powerful tool, just wait til you hit Lake of the Woods and find those hidden sandbar / gravel vein / mud transition areas, they show up like a sore thumb on SI and will change the way you fish LOW.

Do you have a blank SD card in the second slot? You can record your fishing outings and play them back when you get home on your computer, it's like DVR for your depth finder, I record almost everytime I'm out. HumViewer ( free software ) is the program you can use to playback your day, you'll want to play with your screen resolution on your computer to get the optimal definition of your playback. If you find something interesting on the playback, you can mark it with a waypoint and then export it back to your Humminbird....... I've spent hours in front of the computer screen watching playbacks, it's a great learning tool.

If you get over towards Union or Sarah one day, let me know, I'd like to see that IPilot in action.

I was over at Steve's the other day, saw a couple boxes on the floor that just came in, he said they were some fishing goodies for you...... sorry if my finger prints were all over them before you got them laugh

Mike

he told me that you were jealous! So many things to learn, almost have to re-learn how I fish since I've always been too much of a "one spot" fisherman. I was able to get some screenshots but I just have to remember to take them more!

I think I need to drop the transducer even lower though since I lost readings at WOT. It seemed like it was lower than the boat but must not have been enough, and I didn't have a rooster-tail. Definitely can't wait to get to LOW, Cass or Winnie to really test it out! The HD 1' contours of the Lakemaster maps will change how I fish those lakes. Puts the 3' contours of the lake I tried yesterday to shame

I'll have to get over that way to learn some pointers

Yeah, I think I'm ready to move up from the 798 I've been running for the past 4, going on 5 years but I might have to be content for 1 more year, got my eyes set on a ' ice fishing ' snowmobile, if that happens, the fun money is spent!

Keep me posted if you get over this way, do you have my cell number? If not, Lois has it, shoot me a text if something works out. We've got about 800 acres of beans left to put in so the next couple weeks are pretty grim for me depending on what this weather does.

Mike

I think I need to drop the transducer even lower though since I lost readings at WOT. It seemed like it was lower than the boat but must not have been enough, and I didn't have a rooster-tail.

Too low will cause the same issue. Play around with it in either direction. You want it skimming the surface of the water behind the transom.

Thanks for mentioning that TW because it almost seems too low.

I guess I didn't realize it was monsoon season! I feel like Forrest Gump when he's in Vietnam with all the rain

Thanks for mentioning that TW because it almost seems too low.

Here's a little picture of how i've got mine installed.

The water immediately behind your transom when on plane will push UP, often having your transducer parting line level with the bottom of the transom will cause loss of bottom at high speeds.

I have my transducer about 3/4"-1" behind the transom, and roughly 1/2"-3/4" above the bottom of the transom. I'm reading at any speed.

Here's a quick drawing:

full-26433-33349-img_20130521_081854_058

Hello Friends:

I have two new Lowrance Elite 7 HDI units and had them installed for me as I am not too handy. Tried them out yesterday for the first time and loved them. A few questions though:

When traveling from spot to spot (15 to 30 mph), I get a lot of interference on my console unit. I can still see the bottom fairly well, but again interference. Also, when I turn on my bow mount and keep the console unit on, both units interference increases. Is this normal? The individual who installed it said it was, but just wanted to check with some experts on the forum.

thanks in advance!