• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spraying lawn for weeds question?

Huskie

I just picked up a 25 gallon pull behind lawn sprayer. What is the best herbicide to use for dandelions and crabgrass without destroying the lawn? When would the best time be to apply it down here in the I90 corridor of south central Minnesota, thanks.

I use 2-4-d for dandys and most other broad leaf weeds. As far crabgrass there are several different chemicals that work, liquid cocentrates with Quinclorac and Dicamba, Dimmethylamine which is in Weed B Gone Methanearsonate from ferti-lome and a couple others that can be found at the local co-op or landscape out fit. Hope that helps.. Its my opinion sprayers work better for weeds and granuals work better for fertilizing.

As for timeing I do it as soon as I see the little buggers starting to green and grow.

Hope that is of some help.

You will get best results for crabgrass by using the granular per-emergent with fertilizer. The granular fertilizer is better for longer feeding and slower release and better nutrition. Having the thick lawn is mainly what prevents the weeds from getting the sunlight they need to grow.

The sprayer should be used to control broadleaf in the end of May (or this year mid to end of June eek ) once most of the yellow heads have popped. Spray too early and you miss some. Then again towards the end of September into early October.

You can spray crabgrass once it has sprouted, but that costs a lot.

24d in the spring will take out the dandelions. In the fall you may want to go with a larger spectrum broad leaf killer.

Spring:

Product: LESCO THREE WAY

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:

Dimethylamine Salt of 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid* . . . . . . . 30.56%

Dimethylamine Salt of (+)-R-2-(2-Methyl-4-Chlorophenoxy) propionic Acid**‡ . . . 8.17%

Dimethylamine Salt of Dicamba (3,6-Dichloro-o-anisic Acid)*** . . . .. . . . . 2.77%

OTHER INGREDIENTS: . . . . . . . . . . . . . 58.50%

TOTAL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100.00%

FALL:

Product: LESCO Momentum

Premium Selective Herbicide

Chemical Family: Liquid Mixture

Chemical Name/Synonyms: Triclopyr, 2,4-D, Clopyralid

Triisopropanolamine Salt of 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid 10 mg/m 3(for acid) 50.70%

Triethylamine Salt of 3,5,6-Trichloro-2-Pyridmyloxyacetic Acid NA 3.80%