• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MY 14FT V-LUND REBUILD PROJECT

Tierney

Kyle, I have a 14ft Starcraft that I think is a little bit bigger than your boat here and its rated at 30hp.  I have a 2 stroke 25hp on it.  When I first bought it, the bow was riding high, so I moved the gas tank up front.  It  helped a little, but at most it only adds about 40lbs.  I could run the battery up there too I suppose.  Adding a Fin to the motor helped more than anything to keep the bow down while on plane and kept it there at much lower RPM.  I lost about 3mph with it on there though.

However even with the fin it does get a bit squirrely at WOT with a little wind or river current.  On a good day, I can hit about 29-30mph.

I think for the most part you should be ok with that motor, but you will want to keep that bow down when you are by yourself, especially coming around a corner or a point, as an unexpected wind could really take you by surprise and not end well

I think for the most part you should be ok with that motor, but you will want to keep that bow down when you are by yourself, especially coming around a corner or a point, as an unexpected wind could really take you by surprise and not end well

^^^ This!

I had an instance up north on a day when many fronts moved through. Way back before I modded my boat. I was running about 28 mph in a 14' Lund (deeper and wider than the one in this thread) and had no weight up front. Noticed another storm coming and hit the throttle to get back to the launch. Came around the point and caught a gust of wind and the boat spun like a top, dam near threw me out. Was wearing my life jacket but that scared the scat outta me. I hunkered down on a protected shoreline while waiting out the storm then made it out and followed an 18' Pro V to the ramp. The boat was quick before I modded it, now I want a bigger motor cause mine can barely keep it on plane now with more than me in there, older 15 hp Mariner. Would love a 25 or 30, mine is rated for 35 hp.