• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

yamaha 250 HPDI

bhs91

Looking at a boat with an 2004 Yamaha 250 HPDI with 330 hours on it. I have had smaller Yamaha's before and have always liked them, but no experience with the bigger block engines. Can anyone give me any info on this engine?

Thanks,

BHS

I have a '03 225 hpdi vmax which I really like. I would bet it is the same block as the 250. Always reliable. If it is like the 225 series, there will be the standard HPDI and then the HPDI Vmax. The Vmax will have a better bullet design and possibly a heavier duty gear assembly but someone may want to verify that.

As far as efficiency, it will use a very reasonable amount of injector oil and the mileage will be better than carbed or EFI motors but not quite as good as a 4 stroke. I probably get 2.5-4 mpg with it on my ranger 620 depending on how I'm driving it. My motor by the way is most efficient at about 4200 rpms. I tried really going easy on a few trips keeping the speed down and the rpms in the mid to upper 3000's and it burned fuel much faster than getting the boat up and moving a little more. The motor really felt best at that 4200 range which puts me at close to 40 mph. Top end my 225 will do about 56 on that boat and will run very smoothly down to about 2.7 mph. A kicker is nice to get a little more low speed of course.

If you buy it, run some ring free or similar product to keep the carbon build up down and consider doing a "shock treatment" at first with the ring free product. That is the only real concern I've heard of with this motor. Overall, I think you would be very happy with this motor.

ccarlson

I have a 200 hpdi Vmax. It's a solid and fast motor. The Vmax lower unit has a lower water pick up in the lower unit. You can run it up higher on the jackplate and gain more RPM and speed than the standard lower units. The yami's really like the yamalube oil and I priced it at $45/gallon today. Burns more than oil than an optimax for sure. Ring free isn't cheap either but not much different than the quickleen you would add to the fuel on a Mercury optimax.