• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lesson Learned

Before I go shooting, either practice or hunting I always give me arrows a once over, to check for any blemishes or defects, normally give them a spin in my balancer once every couple of weeks too.

All looked good so off to the club I went, shot a few arrows to get loose, pulled them out (couple were rubbing) and never thought about it.

Next shot I released I heard a BAD sound, any archer knows what that is.

Seen parts fly.... cry

Scared to look down, I did, no blood and body parts seemed intact so I looked at the HeliM, bow came unstrung, strings were wrapped tight around the bottom cam and seen the arrow shaft pieces on the floor of the range.

Took the bow to where I bought it. (Goes to Harvey's story about customer service) and was given the once over.

Only thing I had to replace was the string and the string stop on the top cam.

From now on, ANY arrow in doubt is going to get canned.

Not worth the risk. I have new shafts I just bought, but I figured the old ones were still ok. Not sure if its from the 1000 times those arrows have been shot or the times I lay them together in the target.

I will not shoot anything but a 5 spot from now on and will check the arrow shafts closer.

Could have been much worse.

eek Yikes! You're right, could have been MUCH worse. Doubt the fact the arrows have been shot 1000 times had anything to do with it. Probably split one slamming them together, pretty common I think.

The animal round I shoot is 5 arrows on the same target and shafts get beat up pretty bad. I'll pay closer attention to those arrows now, thanks for the heads up, glad everything turned out as good as it did.

Main thing-- glad you are ok... as donbo states, it probably had nothing to do with the ammnt of shots but was probably damaged in grouping. 5 spot will help for sure.. although its one of the reasons I shoot alum for indoor target as well. Its much easier to know when an alum is damaged.

Could have been much worse.

Ooof! Yes, it could have been a lot worse. I've seen it happen one time and it wasn't pretty- a guy at our club ran an arrow completely through his wrist/hand. Besides bleeding all over the archery club, it turned out as good as it could have. He didn't have any broken bones and no major vessels got cut, so they basically just stitched him up at the entry and exit holes and he was ok. He was super lucky.

Check those arrows- not doing so could be very, very costly.

Thanks for the pictures Don, holy moly rocky.

That is what I was thinking it was going to look like when the explosion happened.

Glad to hear you gents think that it is from something else and not from just plain shooting.

The hunter league the wife and I shoot does also require 4 arrows per target.

I will just have to try to "space" them apart by a couple of hairs...lol

Guess I can score a 12-12-12-10 on a few targets, due to some of 12 spots can only fit 2-3 arrow shafts... grin

Been out shooting twice since then, I have a severe case of jerks.

Have a difficult time drawing the bow smooth like I use to.

Also pretty jerky on the trigger.... frown

Luckily I belong to a club and enjoy shooting, I need to get over this before Turkey Season.

Scary stuff for sure. I was shooting last year and took a break and then came back to shoot a few more. I don't know what I saw but one of my arrows didn't look/feel right so I gave it a little bend and she snapped in half. I had just shot this arrow so I don't know how or what happend but I am sure glad I caught it before shooting again.

Rippinlip - What poundage and draw length are you shooting and what is the spine and field tip weight on your arrows?

I'm not saying that the arrow wasn't damaged but there might be some other factors that could have contributed.

So many guys today are trying to max out the arrow speed.

Nels

Right now I am shooting 55lbs for league and the arrow that shattered was a 5575 at 8.4grains per inch with a 100 grain field point.

I have a 26.5" draw.

For hunting I am cranked up to 70lbs, I was shooting 5575 in the Goldtips with the Rage 2 blade.

I have bought new Carbon Express Blue Streaks a couple of weeks ago to be the guidance systems for those heads. Those shafts are 350's.

Right now I am shooting 55lbs for league and the arrow that shattered was a 5575 at 8.4grains per inch with a 100 grain field point.

I have a 26.5" draw.

For hunting I am cranked up to 70lbs, I was shooting 5575 in the Goldtips with the Rage 2 blade.

I have bought new Carbon Express Blue Streaks a couple of weeks ago to be the guidance systems for those heads. Those shafts are 350's.

Well I guess that shoots that theory!