• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which John Deere to buy?

luckydog25

G

Many of the newer Deeres are not built by Deere. .

This is not true. They build all of their machines. The less expensive models, the 100 series, are entry level machines. X300 and up are the "Select Series" lawn tractors.

Deere did keep their select series manufacturing in house. Cheaper brands are apparently built in TN in a Deere plant.

As to the implements/attachments for some of the "X" series tractors, Deere doesn't build or brand most of those either. Frontier is a common one that is just painted Deere green so Deere is not to fault for any reliability or durability issues there.

Several years back, deere tested the entry level waters with the Saber since the largest market for riders was in the 1000-2000 dollar range, a price range deere wasn't in. After some success, they introduced the 100 series. Deere owned, engineered and built

Boatfixer, do you have any opinion on the x500 models I was talking about? I still haven't bought one yet due to plowing all this fricking snow. I planned to have the trailer out of storage and selling and buying by now!! I really don't know what to do... I have talked to others that say the newer model JD are not as reliable. If you don't like the x500's do you have any recommendations?

Thanks. That's probably quite a bit more than many can afford for that machine, but I do agree, it's a very good machine, and having multiple implements and options is a HUGE part of the overall investment.

I have a New Holland MC28 Commercial (Diesel) Lawn Mower w/ a 70" front riding mower deck, and a 70" front mount snow blower. This machine is fantastic. Tons and tons of power, moves a ton of snow very quickly, and I can mow 8 acres in just under 4 hours. I could do it faster, but if I push the machine any harder it's a lot tougher on gas, the nightcrawler mounds make the ride REALLY rough, and the quality of the mowing isn't nearly as good.

I wouldn't trade the machine itself for anything. The implements are extremely heavy duty steel, so they work well, but they're so dog-gone heavy they can be kinda tough to work with and move around.

I'd like to pick up another good rider with bagger, and tiller options.

The rebate on that Massey would be the deal breaker for me. Otherwise I've been quoted similar $$$ for a JD 1026R by the time you add the mower and snow blower.

If the final cost was the same, I'd still opt for the Deere with the quick connect attachments.

Is the jd 1026r the newer version of a jd 2305 or 2310? Because to compare apples to apples when i was looking the jd equivalent at the time to the massery gc2400 was the jd 2305. Most all brand have the quick attach. It only takes me minutes to connect and disconnect the blower and mower.

That would be correct. The 1023E/1025/1026R replaced the 2305. The three different models are all compact utilities but slightly different hp ratings and price points.

I don't recall the main difference between the 2305 and the newer 1xxx series.

I have had my x320 for over 5 years. It has been a great machine. If I could do it again I would probably get a x500 series, because of the attachments. But these are rock solid machines. I don't think you can beat the Kawasaki engines they use and they are built for everyday use. If you are looking to spend around $5000 you may be able to get into a 500 series for around that with bagger.