• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honda 450 ES - shifting

BoxMN

Had a funky thing happen Sunday morn. I keep my battery on maintainer, and starts fine. Shifted fine to get to shack in the am. Started fine after fishing, drove fine, shifted fine back to friends cabin. I shut it off, went to chat a bit (20 minutes). Started it up fine again, but it wouldn't shift out of N. Could not hear the click at all. I rocked it, rolled it, shut it down, started again, etc. Would not shift.

I thought hmmmm.... So I took my heavy scoop handle and tapped just above the manual shift lever down by tranny. Light tap. Then it shifted fine again for the ride home. Never had this happen before (but maybe did before I started hooking battery up to maintainer) and wondering if just due to cold, or why it worked and then didn't?.?... Thanks for any thoughts.

I'd like to know as well. Thats the only issue/concern i have with mine. I would sure like to add the manual shifter.

This hasnt happened to me yet but I have had to rock it a few times to get into neutral when shut off in a gear on accident.

I'd like to know as well. Thats the only issue/concern i have with mine. I would sure like to add the manual shifter.

This hasnt happened to me yet but I have had to rock it a few times to get into neutral when shut off in a gear on accident.

It may have just had some moisture freeze up when you were stopped or possibly moisture in the angle sensor. But I can assure you that anytime you shut them off in gear there is a possibility of having to rock it to get back into neutral whether its an ES or manual. This is due to the way synchronizers in the transmission work, not due to a problem. Its best to shut off in neutral anyway so its ready to go when you start it. The newer ones (06 and up?) will now start in gear by squeezing the brake lever so its not an issue with those.

Yeah, I always shut down in N so at least it will start. It has only happened twice, and the other time possibly due to weak battery.

It could be some moisture in something, as it was pretty wet and sloppy back about three weeks ago on the lake. Hopefully it was the little "tap" that helped me, as that is cheap and quick fix if that in fact did it smile

I have the same atv and have the same problem too frequently. I plow my driveway and two neighbors and that is when it happens. I've always chalked it up to moisture and/or freezing since my mechanic neighbor and I have tried everything to make it not happen and it's got to the point where I can almost always tell under which conditions it's going to happen. When snow gets packed in the undercarriage from plowing and running over snow.

I don't recall it every happening when there was not snow around. Sometimes I almost get embarrassed thinking what I look like when I'm rocking it nearly every time I try to shift out of or into reverse.