• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

UV Jigging Raps

uptracker

The way we see color is by the bandwith of light wavelength that the surface reflects. If we see green, the wavelength reflected is in the 550 nanometer range, red is around 680 NM, and UV is about 330 NM, or a very short wavelength. Fish vision works the same way but supposedly is sensitive to much shorter wavelengths than human eyesight, so they can see the UV wavelengths while we cannot. Also, UV light supposedly penetrates water better than the longer wavelengths, and that would make a UV color lure more visible at depth.

The idea is to coat lures with a UV paint to reflect these UV light waves and brighten the lures to increase visibility to fish. I think the idea has merit, but how do you actually prove it works? It's worth experimenting with in any case.

I nailed walleyes on them last week on LOW, the fish on red like them as well, they work the best in stained water.

Which colors worked the best for you on LOW? I purchased the one with orange on the sides and pink on top. (To go along with all the standard LOW lures)

I always keep a rap style bait on a rod wherever I'm fishing (usually Mille Lacs). I've found it good to raise bloody h*ell down there banging the bottom. If walleyes come in and don't hit, I'll reel up and seduce them with a small spoon and a minnow head. IMHO, aggressive fish just nail them. I picked up a light colored UV one (dull perch) and a bright UV one to put into circulation this year.