• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Digital VS Standard Flashers

gill man

My wife probably won't let me be in the market for a new flasher soon but I like to keep on top of these things... What is the benefit of the new digital flashers? Seems like everyone is buying or dreaming about a Marcum LX-6, 7, or 9. What do they do that standard flashers don't? Is it only the screen clarity? Ability to see in sunlight? Seems like the regular flashers already have dual beam technology, instant feedback readouts, much brighter displays than my OLD (ancient now) Fl-8SLT.

What surprises me is these new flashers don't have GPS and mapping. Seems like until they come out with GPS abilities, I don't understand how they are worth $700.

Not doubting at all, just wondering what makes them so nice.

Tucker

Thanks guys. I should have posed my question differently. I just rigged up my Lowrance 520C for ice use. That unit also has GPS. The Humminbird 597 appears to be a similar unit that was designed for use from a boat but can be converted to ice use - like what I did with my 520C.

What makes the Marcum digital units so desireable and worth more money than other units that have GPS? The Marcum units seem to be more ice-specific.

Tucker

Well Gill man there are quite a few things that the Marcum LX-6, 7 and 9 do that the standard flashers can't or don't do. Just a few things listed below to show the difference.

All digital screen uses less battery and is very quiet when turned on.

•Four user-selectable color palettes

•User-defined on-screen "Dashboard” displays digital depth, battery voltage, range, gain, interference rejection (IR), target adjust, or any combination thereof

•"Multifaceted Sonar Display” LCD windows - "water column vertical,” vertical zoom, flasher-dial and traditional widescreen graph displays.

•Industry-exclusive Sonar Footprint technology displays area of bottom coverage at any depth, with either 8° or 20° transducer cone angles (ex: 20° – 32ft depth - 11.3 ft ‘footprint diameter’)

•Adjustable Scroll/ping rate

•Fully user-defined "Dashboard” displays digital depth, battery voltage, range, gain, IR, target adjust, or any combination thereof

•Adjustable Night-Vis Backlight

A LX6, 7, or 9 is like having 3 fish finders in one unit.

the vertical graph mode is the same as buying the showdown ($200.00)

the flasher mode is the same as buying a LX5 ($500.00)

the graph chart mode is like buying the HB 597 ($550.00)

the LX9 has the camera which is like buying the VS825 ($700)

grand total into the 3 seperate units with out the camera is $1250.00

grand total into the 4 seperate units would be $1950

now let's look at the saving of buying a LX6 or LX7

$1250(cost of the 3 units seperately) - $600 for the cost of buying the LX6 and -$700 for the cost of buying the LX7 (which does the same as the 3 seperate units)

you saved $650.00 by buying the LX6

you saved $550.00 by buying the LX7 (the $100.00 less in savings off sets the fact the LX7 has the larger screen and that is why the savings is less).

now lets look at the savings by buying a LX9

$1950(cost of the 4 units seperately) - $1200 for the cost of buying the LX9

you saved $750.00 by buying a LX9

so to sum it up even thou the upfront cost of the LX6, 7, or 9 is alot look at what you are getting in one unit verses seperate units and how much money you saved and what else you could do with the money you saved.

I also forgot you can run the LX6, 7, 9 with all 3 views going at the same time. doing this will make each one smaller on the screen but it can be done if you wanted to.