• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keeping Fish Rules

crappie55409

what exactly are the rules in MN for cleaning and keeping fish? Im planning a week long trip to Bemidji in a few weeks in my sleeper. This will be my first trip of the kind as usually i just fish for one day and bring my limit home. What are the rules for keeping fish for multiple day trips? I know you cannot clean the fish on the ice you have to go to shore. But if i fish for 5 days can i catch my 10 crappies, bring them to the shore clean them and cook them and then catch 10 more the next day? Im guessing thats how this would work?...

thanks

thanks guys,

so let me just be clear... how long do i need to keep the carcasses. Say i fish in a sleeper for 5 days. I catch 10 crappies a day, clean them, and eat them. If i catch 10 keepers the first day and eat them how long do i need to keep the remains to count toward my limit?

I would guess you would have to keep the carcasses until the end of that day because they would count towards your daily bag limit for that day. Once they are consumed I would imagine they no longer count towards your posession limit. Guess i don't know for sure though. Good question.

thanks guys,

so let me just be clear... how long do i need to keep the carcasses. Say i fish in a sleeper for 5 days. I catch 10 crappies a day, clean them, and eat them. If i catch 10 keepers the first day and eat them how long do i need to keep the remains to count toward my limit?

You need to keep them for the day. The next day starts a new limit as long as you ate all 10 crappies the night before. If you ate 7 you would still have 3 in possession and could catch 7 more. It is a daily and a possession limit. Correct me if I am wrong but you cant catch 10 crappies for lunch eat them and catch 10 more for dinner.

If you eat the fish on the same day you catch them they still count as part of your limit for that day. I know of one party that had a shore lunch during a summer fishing trip, then went back out fishing and filled out their limit again. They were tagged by a county deputy that had spotted them cooking their meal and picked up the carcasses they had left on shore!

From page 10 of the MN Regulations:

• When fish are consumed on the ice or on a watercraft that is docked or moored to shore, the carcass of a fish with size limits (other than statewide size limits) must be retained in such a way that the carcass may be readily unpacked, unwrapped, and separated so that the carcass may be examined, measured,

and counted to ensure compliance with size restrictions for that day. The fish carcasses must be retained with head, dorsal fin, and tail intact, and the carcass will be counted and included in a person's daily possession limit.

• Depositing fish entrails or fish parts into public waters or onto lake or stream shores is prohibited.

thanks guys,

You need to keep the carcasses for the day. And as stated, the carcasses need to be intact so that they can be measured and identified. Do not freeze them. Do not cut them in half or remove the heads.

Catch 10 crappies. Clean them. Eat them and keep the carcasses until morning. In the morning remove the carcasses from the house by disposing of them properly on shore. This puts you back to zero for the day. Then start a new daily and possesion limit.

If you keep the carcasses the second day then they will count towards your possession limit.