• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Setting the Hook on Rattle Wheels and Tip Ups

Fishnblood

Ok guys, maybe a rookie question but this will be my first year out with my wheelhouse and I need a bit of help with setting the hook on Rattle wheels and Tip Ups. I've never used Rattle wheels. When you hear that magical bell going off and the line ripping out of the wheel, do you immediately set the hook or wait for him to stop taking the bait and then set the hook? Same with Tipups do you wait for him to stop and then set the hook or just immediately set the hook as soon as you see the flag fly? Thanks all.

A little of both. If the fish are aggressive you want to set the hook sooner than if they are neutral.

Too soon, and you rip the hook out of the bait, to late and you have a gut hooked fishy...... frown

Generally (not everytime), most of the fish you catch in a given day will be in the same mood (especially if you are parked in one spot). Find what works and stick with it.

-hope this helps!

If it's a tip up I wait until it stops spinning, if it's a rattle reel I first sit up, bump my head hard on the upper bunk, yell @#$%, get up and stub my toe, yell &^%*(*$#, reach for the light switch and spill at least two unfinished beers, yell $#!!, then immedietly set the hook and miss the fish. Everbody's got their own system, I've got mine down to an art form.

Use a circle hook and then just start retrieving line firmly and steadily after the fish stops. Hooks them in the corner of the mouth almost every time and they rarely if ever get gut hooked. No need to 'set the hook' at all.

It depends on how fast the line is going out. If it is going really fast then I will wait a little bit. Those fish are tough to hook as they usually just grab the bait and run. A slow steady pull, I will give it about 4-5 feet and then set the hook, they seem to be easier to hook to me. I don't get them all but I get most. I don't recall ever waiting for the fish to stop. I don't want to give them the time to drop it.

I have lost hundreds of fish on rattle reels and tip ups over the years (walleyes). Two years ago I sort of 'perfected' my technique, and have lost very few since.

Most of the time walleyes will take about a foot of line (sometimes fast, sometimes slow), and then they stop. It feels like they stop forever, but it probably averages around 30 seconds or so, and then they usually take off again. Once they start running that second time, I'll let them take another foot of line, and then start giving some resistance, or even slowly and lightly start pulling it in and feeling for them. As soon as I can feel the fish, I give solid, steady pull. Always keep the line tight, and on the bigger fish you'll want to use your fingers as a drag.

Having a permanent fish house on mille lacs for 15 years my family and I have had our fair share of bites on rattle wheels. Like others have said it depends on the circumstances. If it is during the day and most likely a perch or smaller fish we usually set the hook fairly quickly without feeling for the fish by pulling the line tight. (they tend to spit the hook if given time to run) If it is evening and it is more than likely a walleye or pout we pull out some extra line and let the bobber get to the bottom of the ice or further depending on the minnow size, generally 5-10 seconds after the initial bite. Then we slowly pull the line tight and feel for the weight, once the fish is felt we set the hook. For northern on bigger shiners or suckers we wait up to a minute and then pull the line tight and once weght is felt the hook is set.

Most fish, just let them take it awhile then set the hook. If you are fishing Northerns, let the fish take it until it stops. After it stops, the pike will turn the minnow around to swollow it, then it will start to go again. At this time, set the hook hard and pull it in, not letting any slack in the line. Some times it will take a long time, but if you have patience, you will catch more Northerns in the long run.

If you use inline quick strike rigs you do not have to wait! They are easy to make and work great. I like to anchor the upper treble with heat shrink tubing. It allows for adjusting the length between hooks depending on the size of your bait.

I would recommend a quick strike rig for northerns. Your chance of missing a fish goes down significantly, and you don't have to wait as long, risking a gut hook. I discovered the northland ones for open water this fall. Nicest ones I've ever seen. I'll be using them on tip ups this ice.

Tip up and rattle sets took me too many misses to finally figure out a system. What I came up with is if the fish is facing or swimming away from me, my hook rate success was ten times better.

Here is how I can tell when the fish is facing away. Once I hear the rattles or the flag pops I peel out about a foot of line giving him slack. I then grab the line and slowly remove all slack till I feel tension (the fish). I don’t set the hook immediately; I wait till he jerks the line. Whenever I take someone new on the ice and they get to the point where they feel the fish I tell them "when he jerks you jerk back".

When I’m sitting there holding steady tension on his lunch, they will eventually jerk their head in the opposite direction in an attempt to rip it away….this sometimes takes up 20 seconds (which feels like an eternity). When you are holding tension on his mouth instincts tell him he has bitten off more than he can chew and to rip it free.

When he makes the first move you will feel an undeniable jerk, and it is time to set the hook. Setting the hook isn’t a snap of the wrists it is fast direct pull that simultaneously without slack transitions into hand over hand pulling the fish in.

Happy hooking!!!

Most fish, just let them take it awhile then set the hook. If you are fishing Northerns, let the fish take it until it stops. After it stops, the pike will turn the minnow around to swollow it, then it will start to go again. At this time, set the hook hard and pull it in, not letting any slack in the line. Some times it will take a long time, but if you have patience, you will catch more Northerns in the long run.

I agree with mcfin. My dad taught me to do it this way and we usually are able to get them in

Sometimes ya have to read the bobber, One thng i noticed was walleyes on LOW have a tendency to take the bobber down a bit an stop then i'd se the bobber wiggle, this was the walleye reposition the bait to swallow then he' go a gain, i'd feel for the fish an set the hook. much like most were saying here. tips up I use circle hooks or walees an Q-strick rigs. just seadily pull back on the circle hook an if a picke is running with a smelt i dont wait very long to hit him