• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

air filters

kb1965

I got a 95 600 triple that is rebuilt and am thinking of going to the K & E air filters. Romoving the stock set up. I am trying to find some for a 34 mm Mikuni carb but am having a hard time finding some, I can get any other size though. Just wondering if anyone is using these, what type of performance improvement there is and if I have to rejet due to the fact of more air draw?

Kevin

Got the stock airbox? Keep it. It's best for preventing snow ingestion and allowing air into the carbs. I run individual foam filters on engines that have been transplanted only. If the stock airboxes would fit in different brand chassis I'd use them. Extra holes can be strategically added to airboxes, hoods, etc. however. Rejetting might be needed if used and it's doubtful there is a performance advantage with foam filters IMHO. Good luck!

Kevin

The motor is being transplanted into a 99 agressive chasis. Blew 99 motor and had this one in my 95 that has some tree damage from a few years ago. I have the original boxes fo both sleds but none of the holes line up. On the 99 box the holes are larger, and located at the bottom of the box. Where as the 95 airbox is has the holes located about in the center. Thought of patching holes and cutting new ones but not sure if this would work either.

Kevin

I quess a good question is what kind of 600 hundred triple is it. cat, or polaris?

If you have both air boxes, do you have sets of carbs and intake manifolds?

Is on motor piston port and the other case reed. or both case reed?

You need to look at these two differences if you can get a air box to fit.

Don't run air filters, if you can help it.

I would custom fabricate a air box out of sheet steel before I would run filters.

my 2 cents

sledhead

The motor is from a 95 polaris XLT 600 triple. What I ended up doing was finding an old air box, cut holes to fill the good airbox, and redrilled holes to make it all fit. All in all the stock boxes are being used in the end, just a little refabbing.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by kb1965 (edited 10-12-2004).]