• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When to harvest brussels sprouts

yoppdk

I have 4 nice stalks of brussels sprouts growing up here in Grand Rapids and wonder how long I can let these grow before I need to harvest them. The sprouts are kinda small now and I'd like them to grow more before I harvest them, but I'm not sure if they are in danger of going bad or freezing. Does anybody have experience and advice with how long I can let these grow before I harvest them? I've trimmed about 3/4 of the leaves from the bottom up in hopes of encouraging more sprout growth ... any other tips on getting maximum sprout growth at this time of year? Thanks ...

You could probably cut the top of the plant off as well, as the days are getting short and might as well let the energy go into the ones closer to the bottom and middle. I personally have bad childhood memories of the critters and do not grow them, but pretty sure the 1 inch mark is the standard for picking for maximum flavor, and would probably try to harvest meals instead all at once. They will take a pretty good frost and if they made it through the weekend, and looking at the long range forecast, if you can believe something like that....looks like you should be good to go for awhile and could pass them out to the kids on halloween grin

Yeah, boiled or plain sprouts aren't too good, if that's how you remember them. If you ever get a "wild hair" and want to try a better way, drizzle them with balsamic vinegar and put into a 400 degree oven and let them get crispy. It's a whole new thing compared to the old sprouts we had growing up.

I have sprouts growing as well and plan to leave them for awhile yet. I've started picking a meals worth at a time but most are a little small yet.

I also roast them in the oven and they are great. Not sure why anyone would boil them, thats just nasty. A while back I saw a recipe for diced brussel sprouts on a pizza. I tired it and it was really good. The pizza is cooked under the broiler in the oven and the sprouts basically roast and crisp up while on the pizza.

To make matters worse that was the time of the first microwaves and rubber was the name and god awful was the game smile

Huh..... that seems like a great idea! Have you ever tried that smashed potato style?....giving them a little smash after softening leaving more surface area to crisp.....do you use any olive oil or just vinegar?

When I roast brussel sprouts I cut them in half and lightly coat them with olive oil and then salt and pepper. By the time they are done they are fairly crispy. Not sure if you could really do the smashed potato thing with them since I don't think they would be soft enough to smash.

Definitely can leave them a while yet and hopefully take advantage of some warmer weather to increase their size. Most of the cabbage family plants can take a licking and keep on ticking until late October in the north and well into November in the south if need be. The longer they are left within reason of course, the more sugar they accumulate and the sweeter they will taste.

If boiling or microwaving, you definitely don't want to overcook them. The cooking tips are great but there's still nothing wrong with plain old brussels sprouts with butter, salt and pepper in my book. No matter how you cook them, it's a given they're gonna stink up the house, especially the morning after. grin