• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crossing pressure ridges...

Dan97

Howdy All...

When out ice fishing, it's on the sled or atv. My 3 ton Dodge stays on shore. So on the larger lakes, like Mille Lacs, cracks and pressure ridges (heaves) form.

Without any prior information, how do you know where to cross? Can you take either vehicle across some of those steel bridges they've put out?

Thanks......Dan

Just curious about what you mean by "steel bridges they put out". I haven't seen or heard of such a thing. Is that just from one side of ice to another in middle of the lake to avoid open spot?

Charles

Dan,

Crossin a pressure ridge can be a bit tricky at times. That is why so many people pay the access fee at the resorts and then stick to the plowed roads. You can cross most any pressure ridge by lookin for the flattest spot and getting off of your ride, looking at it and ensuring that it's safe to cross. Some of them you will not be able to cross unless it's on one of the bridges. If that's the case, you can use either an ATV or sled over it.

Charles a steel bridge is something that's put over a large crack or crevasse that forms on larger lakes caused by the movement of the ice. They're commonly called pressure ridges and most of the time require the use of a temporary bridge to get across to the other side.

Eiher way pressure ridges can be very dangerous and should be crossed with extreme caution.

Paul

Hey Dan,

I generally cross 3-4 ridges each time out and then again 3-4 times coming back in. I'm not too fond of crossing ridges with a atv, and much prefer a cat. Speed can be your best friend at times.

Usually I just look for a flattened out area or a spot that ramps up slightly on the side you are starting from. Take a good look at them before you make the decision to go or not. Once you commit to the spot, don't be timid about it, get some speed up (within reason, 20mph or so) and don't look back. If you are following someone else, one at a time is in order.

To each his own when crossing ridges, and experience goes along way here.

Take anyones word with a grain of salt regarding crossing ridges, cause no doubt it is dangerous. Wearing a float coat or a pfd under your jacket is not a bad idea either.

Travel in pairs if you can!

Be carefull out there!

Oh, and PS

Those planked areas or steel bridges freak me out for crossing on cats, they look like an accident waiting to happen. They are designed for trucks in my opinion.

More thoughts.
Daylight is in order here too! Plan your travel where as you are crossing during daylight hours. If you want to fish till dark, move into the shallows for the night bite, and have your ridges behind you for the day when you pack up in the dark.
[This message has been edited by widetrack (edited 02-04-2002).]

[This message has been edited by widetrack (edited 02-04-2002).]