• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Once again, looking for advice on how to spend my money.

I will be going to the Oshkosh flying airshow in July and want to buy a camera holster or sling that will hold camera and large zoom lense. Anyone use one? recomend one? Was looking at some of the blackrapid ones that bh sells.

I have personally used a BlackRapid original since the day they came available mainly for my second body. I use it primarily for sporting events where I use my normal strap system on my main camera paired with a 300/2.8 and the second camera with either a 70-200/2.8 or 17-40. I use the BlackRapid mounted on the foot of the lens with the 70-200 and on the camera on the shorter lenses. I order my Blackrapid equipment directly through their site.

I do love the strap but a few things to consider.

-My original stays on the shoulder fairly well but I would consider the RS Sport or Sport2 now. It can slip if you are using a slippery or nylon type shirt or coat.

-You need to use great care in thinking where the camera swings. I like to carry it so it stays on my back but it will move to your side. Not a problem until you start moving around walls or other objects. The only bumps my cameras have had have been on the BR and the camera hit an object as I was moving.

I also use Think Tank products. I have a belt system with pouches that is great. They also make a highly recommended camera strap. The only down side to a belt and pouch system is when it is hot out (and it is ALWAYS hot in Oshkosh!!!). You sweat like a pig with the padded straps around the waist. I've been to OSH many times and the weather is always a factor.

Another system that gets good reviews is the Spider Holster system. Never personally used one though.

Thanks Dan, I knew you would have some input, I have been looking at all those that you mentioned. My biggest concern is finding something that is a bit longer, as I have a long torso and short legs, and want it to hopefully hang somewere around waist level. I am also slightly concerned about slash proof strapping, as I have heard a few stories over the years of people doing a slash and grab on cameras etc, But they are only stories, so I wont put 100% of those stories towards my decision. Also as you mentioned, heat. I never understood why they always do the airshows in the hottest part of the summer. Last time I was in OshKosh, I dont think it fell below 100 at anytime during the day. My dad is a member of the EAA so we get to camp in the EAA campsites which allow us to run generator power for AC only untill about 10pm. but like Gloria Gaynor once said. "I WILL SURVIVE" smile

The black rapid strap is quite long. I'm 6ft and like to be able to have the camera lie in the small of my back so that when I bend over it doesn't come flying to the front quite as easily. I still have about 8 inches of extra strap, another caution about that is to make sure you double the trap back through the buckle. My camera used to start hanging lower and lower as the day went on until I doubled it back through.