• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

External gas tank not getting gas to the motor

Chumba

So I Just have a little 5 Hp motor on a 12 ft alumicraft. I recently got an extrenal tank for it. It had been working fine for a couple weeks, but this last time i go to hook everything up, and the squeeze ball will not squeeze on the tank. After some troubleshooting I believe the issue is that the connector is not pushing the small ball inside the tube in far enough to allow the gas to flow freely into the engine (right on the connection to the motor) How it worked for 2 weeks, and not now, i am doubfounded. Is there an easy fix to this? It seems like that small pin that pushes the ball in needs to be about 2 mms longer.

I did make sure to have the vent open, that was my first thought. Where would I get a better connector? I had a hard enough time finding the one I have now. It is a Colman motor.

Make sure you have the hose flowing the right direction. Check the flow arrows on the connections. I remember being very frustrated a few years ago with the same issue. After a few hours I discovered I had the hose hooked up backwards. 30 seconds later the motor was idling perfectly. man i felt like an silly-me.

I did make sure to have the vent open, that was my first thought. Where would I get a better connector? I had a hard enough time finding the one I have now. It is a Colman motor.
I think they take the same hose hookups as a Yamaha motor you may try a dealer. Did you check Fleet Farm they do have some after market metal ends. Also, next time you hook it up pull it back off and use a nail or something to try and push on the little ball valve on the end to see if gas comes out and it releves the pressure to see if it is working OK. Becareful because it can come out in a spray. If that is working it maybe the flapper valve inside the hose by the ball. That may have gone bad? Good Luck.

Make sure you have the hose flowing the right direction. Check the flow arrows on the connections. I remember being very frustrated a few years ago with the same issue. After a few hours I discovered I had the hose hooked up backwards. 30 seconds later the motor was idling perfectly. man i felt like an silly-me.

Good to know I'm not the only one who's done this.

When the bulb is primed up and you insert the gas line to the outboard you should notice a little gas squirting as soon as the ball depresses just a bit.

If you don't you have an obstruction in there.

Use something to depress the ball and pump gas through and into a container when you squeeze the bulb. If the bulb stays hard and little or no gas passes, remove the fitting. Now pump some gas into a container to be sure anything debris in the fuel line has passed. You can either clean the fitting or buy a new one.