• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dickcissel

MN Shutterbug

This was a new one for me. I went for a short walk yesterday in the nature area behind our college. I heard this unfamiliar bird song. It was too far away for me to see it clearly, so I went back this morning with my binos. I perused my bird guides along with online sources and I pretty much figured that this is what it was. I then went back with the camera. Once I viewed the photos on the monitor and compared with the references, I came away with a positive ID. To my recollection, I had never seen or heard one before. It's not too often I locate a first, so I'm pretty happy with this sighting.

7380130358_dafa0fe47c_b.jpg

7380130212_7bea79002b_b.jpg

Very nice! Something about their call just says hot, sticky weather. In the CRP acreages adjacent to the fields I frequent they are becoming more common again. We've had them here at the ranch too but with the spring CRP burn, it may have been too short for them. As a kid when there were Soil Bank acres and more hay acreage being harvested on a less intensive cutting schedule, there were more around. Nice to see them again and great you were able to get your lens on one. smile

Thanks guys. I went back this morning and this time I found a female and male in the same bush. If I'd have had my camera with me, I could have had a twofer. smile I also came across 2 more, one heard and one heard and seen. They've been there over a week now, so I figure they must have made this place their summer home. It's kinda cool that it's only about a 5 minute bike ride away.