• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Miles per Tank?

tjbaseball1

I have a 2003 1850 Fish Hawk with a 2-stroke 150 Suzuki. The boat has a 31 gallon gas tank. I'm going with a few other up to LOW and are staying at the Northwest Angle. These guys run into Canada and some days they go 25 to 30 miles before fishing back to the resort. I undertand that people in the boat and how fast we travel all make a differance on how far I can go on a tank of gas. Is anyone Familiar with this boat and motor and can you tell me how far I can run on a tank of gas? Can I go 70 miles with 3 people in this boat? I'd like to get more of an idea before I set out even if I have 2 other boats with me. I've run the boat 25 miles in a day round trip but never 50+ miles.

I can't speak to your exact set-up, but I use to have a 1994 196 Crestliner with 150hp Evinrude Intruder. This was a thirsty motor, basically 6 carbs. The boat was 19' 4" in length and had a 34 or 36 gallon tank. My boat would get about 2.5-3 mpg depending how fast I wanted to go and in the big picture speed never really influenced that much (30 vs 45mph) . I never really pushed it to the limit, but I do remember doing about 70 miles with it and not having to worry. Another option for you is to look on the Suzuki HSOforum and see if they have any performance numbers for you to compare to.

I hope this helps.

Rule of thumb is 1 gallon per hour per 10 hp. And taking 25% off the speed cuts the HP in half, So if WOT is, for example, 40 you could use 15 GPH and get like 80 miles in 2 hours. If you slow down to 30, you would be in the 8 or so GPH region and could go for almost 4 hours or 120 miles.

Might be some fuel consumption data if you search for it, but they don't make that motor any more and finding it for your boat might be hard.

Do you need a Remote Border Crossing permit? Or is that only for overnight stays?

I just got back from Youngs Bay in the Angle and we travled round trip of 38-40 miles a day. I went through roughly half a tank per day. My tank holds 32 gallons with a 2 stroke 90hp. I will be close with your set up

Thanks for the replys on this!

I've done a lot of research on the internet and I don't come up with much. You've helped me out and have put my MPG / GPH right about what I'm thinking. It seems that cutting my top speed down a bit will be the biggest thing to getting the most milage out of the tank of gas. Seems that 70+ miles per tank will not be a problem.

Yes, we do need a Remote Area Boarder crossing permit. You need one anytime you cross the boarder in a remote area even if it's just for a few hours.

My cousin is fishing out of Youngs Bay this week and yesterday he texted that fishing is outstanding.

Thanks again for everyone that responded.