• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sako vixen .222 magnum L461

222 mag is tough to find ammo for... would be possible to bore out to a 223 though i believe... however, I think its a neat caliber, and may be worth keeping depending whom you received it from... I have a tough time parting with inherited guns, unless they are continuing down the line...

A quick Google search and I found a few estimated prices of $1200-1400 if it's in very good shape. Also, I found one HSOforum selling ammo for $80 for a box of 50.

I think I saw they did make this gun in 223 as well, but I don't think I would try to convert it.

If you plan to keep it and shooting it, you'll have to look into handloading ammmo. Looks like the 222 mag and 223 both use the same .224 diameter bullets. In fact the case sizes are very close between the two. 222mag is 2mm longer case size than 223.

Thanks I found similar pricing. Not really a reloader. I found a site with ammo for 1.37 a round and up. It was my father in laws gun. It is in great shape. I may try to find someone willing to trade me for a more common caliber. It is however a beautiful gun and may put new optics on it and just suck up the bullet price. I don't see myself shooting a ton of rounds. A trip or two a year to some friends places in ND to shoot coyotes.

I have the same gun in .222 rem. I love mine. Fun gun to shoot and worth quite a bit of money. I was going to sell mine too for a .223. I found out just how cool of a gun it is. I brought it to Joe's for some trigger work. And one of the sales man told me it was the gun of the month as far as what customers brought in. It is something to deffintly hold onto if you love cool guns. Esspecially if you inherited it. As far as ammo. If you reloaded it would not be an issue. The .222 rem Mag is a cool cartridge.

Thanks for the reply. I found some bullets for $1.10 each out of Oklahoma. I don't think I will be shooting this gun a ton. I am looking into reloading. Now I just need to get some decent optics on it. The Bausch and Lomb I have on it is so old that the cross hairs disappear when looking through it.

UpNorth . . . for my $ it's hard to beat Nikon optics. My favorites are the Monarch series. For a .222 Rem Mag, the 4-16x range would be a pretty good choice, but over $400. Their Buckmaster line is also really good and a little cheaper. Midway currently has their 6-18x version of this on sale for a little over $300 and would be a great magnification range for this rifle. And 40-44mm objective is all you'll want unless you wanted a dedicated predator gun for very low-light conditions. So stay away from the 50mm objective scopes. They'll make the rifle top-heavy and harder to shoot. I'd also not recommend Nikon Prostaff. I think the Buckmaster, for generally a little more money, is a far better scope.

Nice meetin' ya last week!