• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick report on new toy - pontoon

BoxMN

Well, wife "made" us get a new pontoon. My old '77 with old smokey 25hp rude just wasn't fullfilling her needs anymore. So after checking them out, and negotiating, I picked up a 2012 South Bay 522F with 60 Merc bigfoot on last Friday. Bought from a friend dealer who my Dad has always used over years.

The bad - motor mounts bolts were loose (or not tightened enough anyway) and easy fix with a couple 3/4" wrenches. Also, they forgot to put in stereo antenna. (He gave me amplified/powered one today, I will install myself, pretty easy and no cost to me)

The good - everything else was flawless, and I went over it good. Motor ran GREAT and quiet and went through breakin no problem, by the book. Wife loves it, kids love it, grandkids love it. My 9 yo grandson was first person to start it, and second to drive it, so he thinks it is best boat ever, ha! I caught first fish out it, a snot rocket.

I got all vinyl flooring, no carpet, and LOVE IT! Also, I thought it only came with one livewell in back, but they included the tubing for one up front and the livewell (seat) set up, so I can have two if I want, but I just closed the aerator on front one.

I also had them NOT install any of the seat based, because I hate Taper Lock, and I put in my own 3/4" pin style, and got to place exactly where I wanted them. A few inches diffe4rent made a world of difference in the usability and openness of the layout. Was a bit of work Friday night, as I had to drill out rivets to get bottom performance sheet alum skins off, them drill seat base holes, and install, then rerivet the skins back on. Pretty easy, but time consuming. Air rivet guns kick but wink

I also SharkHided the pontoons and side rails, and that was easy and I think will help a lot with the black oxidation and cleaning in the fall. Got two coats on, 36 hours aparts as per directions.

Now I just have to go and get vermillionfox's recommendation for seat vinyl cleaner for when I need it (or was it treatment BEFORE I need it?...) and I will be set.

Oh yeah, was going to mount the locator (keeping the old 480), but my x-ducer cords was not long enough! Drat! I found an extension for it so will do when water is warm enough.

Best thing is the console door is just big enough for my (too big) tackle bag, so I can now leave it there all the time!

So far, except for the missing antenna, I really like the South Bay. And really glad to have a toon with a black motor on it wink

Thanks guys. I will get some of that protectant!

I also planned to get custom covers made for "just the console and capt chair" and then also "just the L bench" so that when I wanted to use it by myself I would not have to deal with that stoopid playpen cover, andjust uncover what I needed. Would put "cover bags" over the 4 fishing seats. Way easier! I know Weeres does seats like that.

But I couldn't get it all done in time, so will do that sometime this summer up near the cabin. Any tips on individual seat covers? Do they mold more or less? I just hate that playpen cover, and with vinyl flooring (it is thick!!! I know from when I put bases in) I am not worried about that.

For any folks looking at toons, that rear deck outside of the fence on the stern is really nice! Easy to get on from the dock, walk around on while fishing, fill fuel tank, help put on cover, leave cooler on, etc.

The rear livewell compartment (doghouse) is flat on top, and sturdy enough for fat dude to stand on top of when casting. Boy, do you get view from up there!

Sorry for the long posts, still excited about it. Never thought I would get so excited for a boat with under 150 or so hp wink but it will get used at least 3 days per week from april till october, for many years to come!