• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is this????

Eric Wettschreck

And more importantly, how do I get rid of it?

full-1978-19951-layla114.jpg

full-1978-19952-layla115.jpg

I have 2 small patches of this in one area of my lawn, I'd say the patches are 3' x 3'. They've been there for a number of years and are slowly getting bigger. Every summer I hit it with Round-Up a couple of times and I actually think it likes Round-up cuz it doesn't even change color. I have another area where I cut down some MASSIVE ash trees last fall, ground out the stumps, and planted grass. The grass is coming up nice but all around the outside this stuff is growing also.

Try Brush be gone I have used that to kill off alot of unwanted ivies and that doesn’t look like a ivy but I’m not a botanist.

Im in the process of killing of creepeing charlie man not that stuff is a battle.

As always it's a little tough to tell from a photo other than to get general leaf shape and and idea of relative size. Does it have purple flowers if you let it go that originate and run along the stem? It typically will get 1' - 2' tall if you do this. I'm going to guess from the photo that you have purple or creeping bellflower. If that's the case, it's an escaped ornamental that is resistant to 2,4-D so you will need something containing dicamba to control it. Something like a trimec will contain dicamba. Repeat applications are likely to be necessary for control.

http://scarab.msu.montana.edu/CropWeedSearch/Docs/CreepingBellflower.htm

http://www.extension.umn.edu/gardeninfo/weedid/idlist.html#CBellflower

Nicer photos but will take you to the previous site when you hit the control options link:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/gardeninfo/weedid/broadleaf/creeping/bellflower.html

Yep!

I'd bet it's creeping bell flower...

My neighbor had an outbreak of it last year... Now it's across the other neighbors lawn and I noticed a little starting to appear in my own where he's let it go.

Luckily I'm moving off this property (Starting tomorrow) and they guy who let the infestation run wild is the one who's buying it!

I believe it has a perennial root stock so it's hard to kill off completely unless you catch it early etc...

I couldn't find any Trimec around here, which I find really weird.

However, I did manage to get my hands on an Ortho product that has 1.35% Dicamba.

We'll see what happens. From what I've read it takes mulitple applications to get rid of this stuff. I'll let ya know.

As I recall it has perennial roots with runners so the issue isn't the effectiveness of the chemical you use it's the depth penetration.

Annual roots from say standard garden weeds are shallow. But Perennial roots, like say from asparagus go deeper and deeper every year. It's the plant's way of defending against drought, hard frosts and other surface damage, so it can keep coming back and/or spreading.

If you just have it in a Patch right now... I would dig deep, apply the chemical. Then back fill and apply the chemical of choice at the surface. Hopefully the physical root damage and the deep application plus surface application will knock it out.

Time of year has a lot to do with it too with a perennial like this one. It is not particularly deep rooted. Fall applications will probably give you the best control although beating it up good in the meantime won't hurt anything and will likely add to the effectiveness of the control.

Trimec has been on the MIA list around here lately too. Even the 2,4-D supply is tight and at ~ $29/gal. for LV-6, not as cheap as it once was according to reliable sources. Another thought: You could let it grow up like several old ladies have done then marvel at the pretty pruple flowers...after it took over the yard and flower beds. grinwink

According to the U extension office fella I spoke with, this is a hard bugger to kill. Digging down aboot 6" will help, but not eliminate.

He pretty much told me the same thing yous guys have. Late spring (now) Hit it hard, hit it hard again, hit it hard, and hit it hard once more for good measure. Once it looks dead, repeat the hit it hard procedure. When fall comes, pretty much dump a bucket of poisen on it and hope it did the trick. Then, hit it hard.

We've got 2-4-D out the wazoo here, it's a few bucks more than previous years but you can get it by the keg. I'm not knowing why Trimec has vanished, it used to be everywhere.

Yeah the stuff makes buckthorn look like it's easier to kill than shiner minnows on a hot day!

laugh

I say just dig a pit, dump poison on it and get half a load of black dirt brought it.

Or maybe just build a brick barbeque pit on top of it!

Or maybe just build a brick barbeque pit on top of it!

That's not a bad idea. Build a bb-q on one spot, and put a beer fridge on top of the other one.

Problem is, I have a small spot in another part of my yard, also. I spose I could stage a couple of different beer fridges in the yard. That way I wouldn't have to walk as far.

Why not... Just consider it the Lawn and Garden equivalent of people who can't get a stain out of their carpet so they rearrange the furniture in the room to cover it up!

wink

I find parking worn out farm equipment or used but not abused Studebakers on top of it will accomplish this feat as well. Also increases wildlife habitat as an added bonus. grin

I've been out spraying like mad too.

I did one at 8:30 this morning, then at 9:30 we got that downpour up here in the cities for an hour.

I was nervous that my application was all washed away, but when I drove past the account at 8 tonight, all the dandelions were all curled up, down to the ground. :whew: