• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

225HP,Mercury Pro XS or Verado?

As you might guess from my other post I am considering a new Ranger. At this point we are leaning towards a Reata 2050 and the max HP is 225. The dealer I am working with like the Mercury engines which boils down to the Pro XS or the Verado.

My understanding of the differences between the 2-stroke and 4-stroke is this

4-stroke

1) quieter

2) better fuel consumption

3) better, more precise, throttle control (drive by wire)

4) better idle and speed control (think, muskie trolling)

2-stroke

1) better hole shot, more torque

2) cheaper

3) better midrange

So, in speaking to the dealer he told me that the Pro XS is going to be a bit louder but that fuel consumption would be a little less(!) at 5500RPM. I did notice that he did not say anything about mid-throttle, take off, etc..

The Pro XS is also cheaper but by how much I am not sure. I have heard anywhere from 1500-2000 in passing conversation but I have not asked the dealer about the exact difference. Part of me thinks that the 4-stroke is cleaner and will probably be a better engine for the long haul. I tend to keep things for awhile (my current boat is now 20 years old).

I would love to hear any comparisons, anecdotes, opines. I am sure that many of you have had the same considerations when making a purchase and I would love to hear your thoughts. :-)

Thanks!

SmartCraft with DTS (Digital throttle and shift) are available on the Optimax XS as options, SmartCraft has troll control which can hold a specified RPM or MPH while underway. These features were here before the Verado. For whatever reason they were seldom mentioned or offered by dealers in this market.

If I were the one buying that boat, it would be Verado all the way. I do not run a Merc, but if I did I would not even think about the Pro XS. The Pro XS is a great motor, don't get me wrong here, but the Vrod is just sweet, quiet and smooth.

Take a test ride in a boat with a big HP Vrod and you will know what I mean. They are not cheap to purchase but IMO well worth it.

I spend a fair amount of time in front of a Vrod as my buddy has a 250 Verado on his Ranger 621. I run a 250 HO Etec on my 620, and I really enjoy the performance of my engine, I like the way his sounds.

The Verado is very, very quiet which is a HUGE plus to me.