• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Metro catfish lakes

lotsofish

The DNR has stocked about 20 lakes in the metro with channel cats. Does anyone have any tips on how to target these fish? What kind of depth/structure should I be looking for? I caught a small one last year bass fishing with a senko in 3-4 feet in the weeds, but that's the only cat I've caught in a lake. Any live or cut bait in the weeds on these lakes is going to be tough to keep the bluegills off.

id probably start somewhere near deep water,as i beleive they would travel back n forth to dine on some bluegills.

bottom fishing a slip rig with cutbait would be the way to go, but if its a weedy area a slip bobber a foot or 2 off bottom might be a better option.

when targeting cats, i usually use a good size chunk of cutbait "1 inch or bigger". so even tho smaller fish might nibble on here n there, they arent gonna steal it.

kinda cool n can give ya a lil heads up, but sometimes you'll get tiny nibbles, then its dead silence and all of a sudden wham a big cat hits it.

Good luck and let us knwo how you do

Im not sure about in the metro but i know sum great cat lakes in Mn. Usually i nightcrawler on the bottom, with light tackle or a slip cork with cutbait. good eatin to. much prefered over them mn river cats

Far and away the WORST catfish I've ever eaten came out of a lake west of the Metro area, though I also ate others from the same lake that were good.

For that lake it was best right after ice out in 1-3 feet of water. Bobber and cutbait worked beautifully. The nice thing about cut bait is you're not going to have much competing with the cats other than northerns.

So, I didn't have any cutbait, but I did try nightcrawlers on the bottom. Those didn't last long because of the panfish. I kinda gave up on it, and was catching bluegills and crappies with a jig and 1" gulp alive minnow when I caught about a 10 pound cat. That was fun on a ML rod with light line. Next time I'll get some suckers for cut bait, but I still think those pesky gills are going to pick it apart.

isnt that always the case most times, big fish seem to bite best when not targeted lol

impaling a few fatheads on a hook and rippin a couple in half and rehooking them works good as well. Some people just smush them a lil to get the juices flowing

Like i was saying before, the lil fish may nibble at your bait here n there but a channel will hit it pretty hard.

sidenote, use a sturdy rod holder if your dead sticking it.